·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the car is in Canada so in miles it has just over 192k miles on it. Says it has a new water pump and rad

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RJ, think I'll check it out real carefull before I decide if I'm gonna jump on it. Maybe offer 2200 if everything checks out.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
good post rj - beat me to it -
Devil, in the report it show's the value around 2100 - 2600 for a good condition 325i, and 1500-1800 for average, and i'd figure that's with average miles -
I think $3K is too high at almost 200k miles. You can do better.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
run they are junk. buy american
X2
repair costs kill you on any foreign POS. that includes the junk built here (Honda, Toyota), and the junk built over seas and sold at domestic dealers like the Catera, Merkur or Stealth.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was considering it only because it is in my price range, I looked up some parts prices and damn near shit my pants. I think the wife will be getting a nice used Focus or an SX2.0

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I have a 1998 3 series convertible. It has 143k miles on it and is a back-up vehicle. It gets started maybe once a month now and spins like a top. I have owned it for around 5 years now and have only had to put a battery in it, tires and water pump ($54). I drove it last week 800 miles round trip to Killington VT. It owes me nothing, is more comfortable then our 2009 VW convertible beetle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The older model BMW 325's are known for window regulator problems, crankcase breather problems in cold climates it freezes up can break vavle covers hydro engine. Front suspension bushings and ball joints, tie rod ends. And all BMW's eat brake rotors and pads. It could be a huge money pit if you can not work on it yourself.

·
I kill parts
10,216 Posts
They eat brake rotors and pads because they stop in half the distance of domestics of the same era.

Just at a year ago now I put my wife in a '02 330i. Had just over 100k when we got it. I priced all the usual stuff up front; full tune-up, brakes, alternator, wp, radiator, thermostat(it's the complete housing assembly), window and seat motors, as well as everything to rebuild the "vanos" system(variable valve timing) , etc. Everything was within reason $ wise of any other comperable car, even domestic. I'm sure labor would be more intensive/expensive, but even with no prior BMW experience I can do that myself. I did the full tune-up when I got it and did the rear brakes about 10k in. We've put a little over 20k on it now, very happy with it in general.

Being a '92 I believe that's the "E36" as where mine is the "E46" and thus are a bit different platforms.

·
its blingtiffic™
9,829 Posts
Call the shop 303-825-5700 i will explain

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, there are lots of options out there, I'm sure I'd have no problems doing most of the work myself on whatever I end up with. Bottom line really is whether or not the wife likes it, as she's gonna be doing most of the driving. She hates automatics as much as I do in a daily, so the fact is has a 5 speed caught my eye. Oh well, I'm in no huge rush so I'm not gonna go in blind.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
sold our 2001' 330CI ... never been so happy - right around 100k everything went wrong with it -- brakes- rotors- hubs-alternator-fuel pump- tranny- electrical- etc... check them out -- neat cars but lots of recalls/ lawsuits by owners ...good luck

·
its blingtiffic™
9,829 Posts
They arn't the best car that BMW built, If you put a ceramic pad on it they will last the life of the car, the ball joints die 40-60k but are a easy fix @ 29.00 ea. the window regs can be troublesome but if you pull the door panels and lube the tracks and tighten the mounting and pivot points they work pretty well. The cooling systems are prone to the upper neck of the rad breaking off. I'm listing most of the bad. If you do buy it and need parts I will hook you up.

And for you haters of the BMW's I've got 4 in the lot right now that have north of 250,000 miles and run like new. Besides the Ultimate Driving Machine pays for my 275 DR car...:p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts