Made some good progress today. Finished the driver side header modifications. Extended it to the sway bar area because messing with bolts or vband clamps right next to the steering link is just stupid.
Started on the y pipe to mate up with the rest of the exhaust.
Welded in the new battery tray. Going to spray it with Duplicolor Arctic White for a close enough match.
Finally starting to look like a car again.
Surprisingly the ride height hasn't changed at all even with the iron block.
Quick update. Mostly waiting on USPS and Fedex at this point for more parts.
I wanted something clean and configurable for power switching so I'm using an ssVec fuse/relay box from Eaton. Turned out to be a really nice piece. Also relocated the battery to the trunk with OE stuff from a coupe.
Made a quick coolant crossover pipe from some scrap leftover in the bin.
Also have a new C101 connector and pins. Just waiting on the rubber boot cap and thatll finish off the engine to chassis wiring.
Got my ECU all mounted up. It actually bolted up to the factory Motronic mounts and fit with some minor cover/glovebox trimming. Enough real estate under the cover for my bluetooth adapter as well.
Got my passenger side header squared away. It's from a 5th gen Camaro shorty set. One runner took a little massaging for the frame rail clearance but it was pretty minor. Exhaust should be finished up this weekend.
Intake pipe and coolant tank finished up. Had to use OE style hose clamps since everything is so narrow.
Tomorrow will be one month since I started. Getting to the final stretch. Filled the motor with oil. All the wiring, minus some battery power connections, is finished up. Just need to install my shift kit in the trans, source a 2.79LSD and install some hose clamps, air filter, trans cooler and radiator fan. Used an F-body power steering hose and just welded the banjo fitting off the old BMW hose. Finished up the exhaust as well.
Pretty much a diff, driveshaft, silicone coupler and throttle cable away from doing burnouts. Topped all the fluids off and let it run for an hour or so. Didn't get over 186 holding the motor at 4k rpm for awhile. No higher than 181 at idle. Just running the stock radiator with a 16" Spal pusher.
Got ahold of a 2.79 open diff for $50. I was going to weld it, but saw there were ebay knock offs of the Phantom Grip style "lsd" conversions and picked one up for $55 shipped. I've used these before quite a few years back doing turbo MR2 spyders and nobody wanted to pony up for a Quiaife diff. They werent perfect, but they put the power down for cheap.
As long as I can get a customer's turbo M3 off my lift this weekend, I should be on the road sometime next week. Had to trim some hood bracing to clear the intake pipe but everything fits now.
Actually had it on the road Tuesday. My $200 mystery transmission is fucked up and needs to come out and the spare diff I had laying around has an input bearing growl. Must have been dropped at some point.
Hopefully back in daily driver mode before the end of the month.
Has some initial issues to deal with. The original 2.79 open diff I installed ate the pinion bearing within 4 miles. I can only assume it was dropped at some point for how fast the cage disintegrated. I bought a 2.79 LSD and that has been good. The trans fluid also developed a pepto bismal hue indicated the converter or trans had water in it. I tore the trans down and rebuilt it and did the required mods to make it a full manual deal. Good thing I tore it down as the frictions had started to delaminate from the backing plates.
Drove it to work this morning and coolant temps never got over 183. Cruised at 3k rpm 75 and made the 60 mile trek without issue. Ill probably go to a hydroboost setup in the near future. Not a huge fan of the manual brakes so far.
Machined center support for better fluid flow on the direct feed mod.
Shit that washed off all the hard parts as they were cleaned.
Machining the pressure plates to get .050" of clutch clearances. I didn’t want to wait to order thinner steels, so this was the easiest way.
Well after some time away from Yellow Bullet, I'm back! I realize none of you probably remember me anyway, so we will just move on to the build.
A couple years ago I picked up a 1993 SC400. I wasn't really looking for a car, but a late night search found this one, and I have always liked...
I guess I'll post some pics of my RWD Civic hatch build...
6766 Precision turbo
precision 66mm wg
I was building it per 25.5 but decided not to put in a funny car cage since I plan on driving it around town. This is my first chassis and its Jjust a build I have been...
Just getting started. Yes, another 928. Not sure why I love these cars so much. Anyways, I scored an 82 for $1000 not running. Plan on doing a chinese turbo 5.3 aka Denmah setup. Already have LQ9 all aluminum motor for it as well as turbo, ls9 cam, 4l60e and converter. ( I know it will be...
Well, being that I am mentally un-stable and the AMC my Father and I are building nearing completion (build thread in Others section), we have picked up yet another money pit. I have been around Mitsu's/DSM's specifically since 2002 when I purchased my first Talon as a winter beater during High...