Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a sbc blueprint block that I'm getting ready to drop in a car. When I prelubed on engine stand the #1 exhaust rocker is flooded with oil flow. Most others aren't getting much. Rotating crank doesn't change #1 but may help slightly on others. I had 65lbs oil pressure and would think flow would be equal front to rear, side to side. Is there galley plugs that could be missing or incorrectly installed that could cause this? No way I'm going any farther without figuring this out. Probably be pulling the intake to see what it looks like when I'm priming around lifters. Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to pull the intake and prime it so I can see what's going on. I know the Blueprint and Brodix blocks are similar and there's a special galley plug kit for the Brodix but not sure about the Blueprint. It definitely is flooding it. Most other rockers don't have adequate flow from what I saw. I remember seeing where that galley was cast in front.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Priming tool should resemble a dist body that has a recess in the casting to direct oil flow from left side to right side lifter gallery.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Priming tool should resemble a dist body that has a recess in the casting to direct oil flow from left side to right side lifter gallery.
Using old distributor cut down. Always worked before.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Have a sbc blueprint block that I'm getting ready to drop in a car. When I prelubed on engine stand the #1 exhaust rocker is flooded with oil flow. Most others aren't getting much. Rotating crank doesn't change #1 but may help slightly on others. I had 65lbs oil pressure and would think flow would be equal front to rear, side to side. Is there galley plugs that could be missing or incorrectly installed that could cause this? No way I'm going any farther without figuring this out. Probably be pulling the intake to see what it looks like when I'm priming around lifters. Any ideas welcome.
Sounds like the oil hole maybe in the oil band and not on the side of the lifter to regulate the oil. Brodix and Blueprint blocks are the same block.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't see anything different externally on the lifter compared to another solid I use to check cams. Band on lifter is slightly wider, oil hole visually is same height. Would unregulated oil release there affect the other lifters? They're getting oil but not much at rockers.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Is that the case with all the blocks Carl, or just the SBC
Not a problem with the blocks its the lifters I was talking about. The lifters are all the same size. ??? Is this a reduced base circle cam ???

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
These are solid flat tappet lifters the oil hole is supposed to be open to the oil passage there is a metering disc inside the lifter that is supposed to meter the oil, I would check out the lifter maybe there is trash in it or swap places with another lifter temporarily to see if that's the problem.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are solid flat tappet lifters the oil hole is supposed to be open to the oil passage there is a metering disc inside the lifter that is supposed to meter the oil, I would check out the lifter maybe there is trash in it or swap places with another lifter temporarily to see if that's the problem.
Just getting ready to go out and swap the lifter that is flooding for one that has really limited flow.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a problem with the blocks its the lifters I was talking about. The lifters are all the same size. ??? Is this a reduced base circle cam ???
The band is slightly larger. I believe the lifter I compared it to is a Lunati. Cam is standard, not reduced base circle.

·
Registered
67,917 Posts
With the intake removed, can you see any oil around the circumference of the lifters, when spinning the modified dist?

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appears these lifters are trash. 3 have lots of oil, maybe another 3 have limited and the rest aren't getting any up top. Won't be getting any more Comps.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So what's a good solid lifter? I know Morel is supposed to be good, who sells them? Was looking at Howards. I see Crower has an edge orfice where the Oil hole is higher on the machined surface, is that what I need?

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I've had issues with Morels on sizing, .0008 difference in one set. I've had good service from the Howards edm lifters. You don't need edge orifice if the lifter is working properly. Just a FYI if the lifter oil band is not exposed to the oil passage when the lifter is on the base circle it will take forever to prime and get oil flow to all the rockers because the oil can't flow from one lifter to the next while the lifter is on the base circle.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've rotated it a little, primed and repeated several times probably 360 a half dozen times. Going out to investigate more. All the lifters are getting oil but it appears unequal even around the lifters. I may switch a couple more that are on base and vary in flow. Think I'll check size too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So what's a good solid lifter? I know Morel is supposed to be good, who sells them? Was looking at Howards. I see Crower has an edge orfice where the Oil hole is higher on the machined surface, is that what I need?
For flat tappet lifters, we use Precision Products from Arden NC. Will cost you around $500/set, worth the money if your doing something more than a street engine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts