Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a 509 BBC with a B&M mega blower and intercooler.

I have never come across a mega blower before, can anyone comment on them good or bad.

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
Street car race car or both? bob

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
How fast do you want to go? Not going to get a lot from that blower.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be happy with low 9s. Is that possible with motor in 2800 lb car ?

What sort of power would you expect to see from this motor?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Can ayone give me an answer on the above questions please
Sort of hard to answer the questions without knowing one thing about the motor,car or you.
Heads, cam, fuel system, exhaust, trans, chassis setup, tuning experience, etc. etc. etc. I'm just sayin'.
Low 9's isn't that hard to achieve, but you are going to need at least 750-800 h.p. with a good chassis and the ability to make it all work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know much about this motor yet ,I should hopefully get the full spec of the motor tomorrow, it is said to make 800 hp on your pump gas so I am hoping to get 850 hp with our 99 octane fuel we have in the uk.

Getting back to the blower on the car, does anyone else run one ?

·
Registered
918 Posts
A buddy used to ran 10.20's in an all steel chevelle (3600lbs) with a mega blower and a little bit of spray on a 355, total street car. Would make 600 at the tires.

The biggest problem with a mega blower is they no longer make them.

Travis

·
Registered
116 Posts
A roots blower is a very simple technology and the B&M blower does its thing. It is in between a standard big bore 6-71 (411ci) and an 8-71 (438ci) in size, pumping 420ci per revolution. It is a simpler 2-lobe design which used to be hailed as more efficient, but I dont think that ever bore out. Holley/ Weiand, which bought the B&M blower line, discontinued the Megablower so obviously an older part (and hopefully not too loose), but you can still get parts/ service. It will make the boost you need for the street. For more serious racing on pump gas where you may be looking for boost levels of 10-14lbs, I would probably look at an 8-71 or 10-71 blower from Littlefield, TBS, or Hampton.

With 6-9lbs of boost on a well built 509 (don't know the specs), you should be able to achieve at least 750-850hp easily with the boost that blower will make.

I also understand that octane rating in the US is not equal to the octane rating in Europe, so beware.

mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I think what I used my car for the combination will be ok and I could always upgrade to a bigger blower if needed and a do have a nitrous sytem that is on my current engine I could utilise.

In the advert it also says it has an intercooler. This may be a stupid question but how does that work on a roots ?

I pressume it must sit between the blower and intake ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
An intercooler on a roots sits between the intake and blower and will cause the blower to sit pretty high. it will also allow you to spin the smaller blower faster w/o heating up the charge as much and is often worth a bit of a power increase making it easier to achieve your power goals.

I think I just saw the engine you refer to in Eurodragster.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
An intercooler on a roots sits between the intake and blower and will cause the blower to sit pretty high. it will also allow you to spin the smaller blower faster w/o heating up the charge as much and is often worth a bit of a power increase making it easier to achieve your power goals.

I think I just saw the engine you refer to in Eurodragster.
The Blower & intercooler will definitely help achieving your power goals, the down side, as said, is the additional height of the intercooler as his will add around 4 inches in height.

Not sure what you are planning to put this engine in, but would be good to have a measure up, as when you start adding collectively the height of the Blower Manifold, Blower, Intercooler, Carbs & Filters it soon starts adding up.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think what I used my car for the combination will be ok and I could always upgrade to a bigger blower if needed and a do have a nitrous sytem that is on my current engine I could utilise.

In the advert it also says it has an intercooler. This may be a stupid question but how does that work on a roots ?

I pressume it must sit between the blower and intake ?
Common error above. Buy as big of a blower as rules and money will allow and turn it slower. As power needs increase, start upping the over drive.

The B&M blowers were good street blowers back in the day, but the major limitation with the 420 was the 2-carb mounts it had cast into it. Why they didn't make it with a removable plate is beyond me, because they made the 250 B&M blower with plate.

If memory serves correct, the B&M dragster had a 462 on it that made 850ish HP on race gas.

My 505 had a 10-71 Littlefield on it with cast rotors. We could never get more than 18 PSI from that blower, all the way up to 30% OD. It was like we were exceeding the air map of the blower. All we saw were intake temps climbing as the OD increased.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I dont know much about this motor yet ,I should hopefully get the full spec of the motor tomorrow, it is said to make 800 hp on your pump gas so I am hoping to get 850 hp with our 99 octane fuel we have in the uk.

Getting back to the blower on the car, does anyone else run one ?

If it made 800 HP on pump gas I would think it would have some decent compression. If so the megablower may not be such a good idea. Let us know when you get the specs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still no specs on the motor getting a bit sick of talking to an answerphone and sending emails and getting no replies. I will let you know if I ever hear anything

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
engine now sold .

Thanks for the info anyway
Not what you probably want to hear, but I always look upon a deal thats gone sour, as that it was not meant to be & something better will turn up.

Especially as the guy wasn't answering your email or returning your voice mails, thats when he was trying to sell.

Imagine if there was a problem & you were trying to get hold of him ! !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very true. What will be will be.

Mark you from the UK . Sure I saw your car at the pod last year seems to have loads of power but didnt seem to get of the line very well. Have you got it sorted?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Yes from UK, had a few issues with the trans brake bogging down the motor off the line, so could only feather it out of the hole, still managed a 9.1. Sorted now, so hoping to do better this year..... when I get time to go to the track that is :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts