Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sbf with F3 procharger on M1. Is it worth the expense of efi vs a good blow thru carb? I already have an msd grid and datalogger in car for everything needed. Was looking at CSU and APD for blow thru carb. I'm sure there are other good ones also? I'm sure on turbos they would be more finicky for spooling and making boost

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
I can only speak on what I've seen, but local racer/no prep is running out of fuel on APD blow thru deal. So much so they put a fuel block in front of the carb and ran fuel lines to the intake to add the extra fuel. It's turned on by a nitrous solenoid and a rpm window switch. He is at 2000+ hp. He is looking at making the efi switch. Guess it depends on what kind of power you are looking to make.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I can only speak on what I've seen, but local racer/no prep is running out of fuel on APD blow thru deal. So much so they put a fuel block in front of the carb and ran fuel lines to the intake to add the extra fuel. It's turned on by a nitrous solenoid and a rpm window switch. He is at 2000+ hp. He is looking at making the efi switch. Guess it depends on what kind of power you are looking to make.
Are you talking about Tim brown by any chance?

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Are you talking about Tim brown by any chance?
Yeah. We were with him last Sat at Kil Kare. We've raced with him for awhile. And I've known Larry H. since I was a kid. (Tim's engine/fab guy).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apd couldn't fix the problem in the carb?

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Apd couldn't fix the problem in the carb?
I'm honestly not sure what the problem is other than he said the carb wouldn't flow enough. He builds engines and has a engine dyno and a couple years on the setup so I would think he has talked to them.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They said their newest stuff is good to 3000 hp. Maybe that is an older carb? I would like to hear if anyone has good success stories with theirs or anyone else's?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Properly built blow-thru carbs are hard to beat, regardless of the application. Also, K&N has a fairly new product that has not been marketed to racers yet that is VERY good for carbureted engines. I've worked with several now and it will soon become a must-have for high HP engines with carburetors regardless of the fuel and power adder. It has an easy to program ECU that is an AFR-controlled fuel supplement system. Simple, effective and inexpensive. They've only marketed to the street rod market so far but it's a no-brainer for racing... https://www.knfilters.com/eci

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

·
MFI on CH3OH
14,099 Posts
Travis Quillen does a mechanical system that is night and day ahead of any blow thru alcohol setup. Couple that with a Haltech VMS for your dash, logging, engine timing control and ignition (if you choose COP). Your way ahead and wont melt pistons all the time like blow thru alky does above 2000hp without additional mechanical enrichment nozzles in the runners.........

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
They said their newest stuff is good to 3000 hp. Maybe that is an older carb? I would like to hear if anyone has good success stories with theirs or anyone else's?
I would say show me the Dyno video and data sheets on a 3000 hp alcohol blow thru carb. Been running a F3-139 since 2005 , with a blow thru carb tell about 2015. Lots of BS out there about alcohol blow thru's. Getting that much fuel volume through a carb is a major challenge,....properly metered.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Blow-thrus have their place , but have no fail safes .

Sometimes when blow-thrus lose fuel , they go so lean the motor cant run and pistons are saved .

sometimes not .
Nothing is fail safe......

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Carb is a newer carb. If Tim says it's running out of fuel I believe him. I mean Procharger says you can spin their F1 and F2 blowers to a max speed and it will stay together. We both know that's a lie. :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe it also. I was just wondering if it was a newer design or a couple years old. I can see it happening when you get too high in boost and hp. The cost difference between a blow thru alcohol carb and efi is very big. Good thing is once u go efi that's it I dont think you will go back. I myself have never done a blow thru carb at that hp level, only efi. But 3k. Vs 10k plus , for a strictly racecar is huge.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I run a small tire camaro, 540 f-3 with a apd blow through and a holley dominator for ignition and data logging. I love the carb it runs great, drives great, starts great. Made 2400hp and now its probably making around 2600. I don't see me switching to fi any time soon

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I run a small tire camaro, 540 f-3 with a apd blow through and a holley dominator for ignition and data logging. I love the carb it runs great, drives great, starts great. Made 2400hp and now its probably making around 2600. I don't see me switching to fi any time soon
Is it one of the new models? On M1?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts