Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking on going with a Big stuff 3 16 injectors throttle body n elbow what is the better of the two have blow through now 950 [email protected] witch will be faster blow through or efi

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
EFI does not have pressure loss like a carb does and it allows for more fuel control . I cant see how you can do better with a carb .

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C-16 n it will b intercooled

·
Registered
632 Posts
i think with that set up u wont make any more hp over the carb...the a/f was so dead on on the dyno...i cant see how the engine would benefit form efi
i think u will only gain more tuneable on the racetrack...If your buddy tunes it for free then go for it but tuners are costly..i have no idea how to tune EFI on the track

btw guys this was my engine in my car that ran [email protected] with an f2 @3650lbs:)

MHO..i would invest in a chance converter and an intercooler set up and the car will do more than u can imagine:)

·
5,150 Posts
i think with that set up u wont make any more hp over the carb...the a/f was so dead on on the dyno...i cant see how the engine would benefit form efi
i think u will only gain more tuneable on the racetrack...If your buddy tunes it for free then go for it but tuners are costly..i have no idea how to tune EFI on the track

btw guys this was my engine in my car that ran [email protected] with an f2 @3650lbs:)

MHO..i would invest in a chance converter and an intercooler set up and the car will do more than u can imagine:)
Paul what size converter did you run in your Malibu . My car is almost the same weight as your car and you are correct when you say converters are very important in these cars . I had a custom PTC made for my car but I have a feeling that it will take multiple converters before I find one that works with my combo. I Was hoping you could shed a little light on what worked for you with a SBC with an F2 at that weight . Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Paul what size converter did you run in your Malibu . My car is almost the same weight as your car and you are correct when you say converters are very important in these cars . I had a custom PTC made for my car but I have a feeling that it will take multiple converters before I find one that works with my combo. I Was hoping you could shed a little light on what worked for you with a SBC with an F2 at that weight . Thanks
i had a marty chance 9inch r25 aluminum bolt together with 3 dif stators to change it around a bit with track conditions...

·
5,150 Posts
Carbs do very well there is no doubt but it is hard to beat independent cylinder tuning . It all comes down to comfort . If you are more familiar with carbs and not willing to learn the efi system stick with the carb . If you are not intimidated by the efi and want to try something new you will get more tunability with the EFI. I think it comes down to when and if you want to push your car to the ragged edge EFI will tend to do better than the carbs because of the extra tuning parameters EFI offers. You can go very fast with both but in the long run EFI has the edge if you know how to use the operating system .

·
Registered
25,093 Posts
My AFRs stay pretty flat WOT . This is C-16 @ 30º timing . 70/70 jetting . I assume the AFRs change just a little shifting into 3rd because it makes a hair more boost in 3rd . Its originally a Carb Shop Carb , but was modded with Brent Davis metering blocks and air driven BRPVs .

Carbs can be a real bitch to get just right , especially a daily driver where you tend to feel every little thing . It took me some time to get it right .

EFI seems like it would be easier ...................... just saying . lol

But , I love my carb .

·
Registered
48,027 Posts

I'm not going to pick on you but this is the story we hear all the time. To paraphrase what you wrote:

"I can't see how the engine can benifit from efi and I have no idea how to tune efi at the track."

Can you see that these two things might go together? You don't TUNE efi, you PROGRAM it. If you can type words on the YB, you are PROGRAMMING. You are entering DATA. The Yellowbullet is ALREADY set-up so all you have to do is to LOG-ON and type in the space alloted for you. You already know how to type which means, you already know how to TUNE an efi system. You mearly type (program) what you want the air-fuel mixture to be all through the range that the engine is running in. Same with the advance or retard of the ignition system. This is done on a laptop computer in the program that comes with your engine management system. Just like on the YB, you type in little areas ALREADY provided for you on your computer screen.

The reason that you don't know what to do or how to do it is because (for lack of a better word) you are AFRAID that you won't know how. Trust me, IT IS NOT HARD. All these engine managment systems come pre-programmed with a base "tune-up" and you modifiy it as you go. IT IS NOT HARD. You still need to read the plugs (the only eye witness as to what is going on inside the combustion chamber). The benefits of electronic fuel injection are way too numerous to mention but here is a simple explanation. With a carb, the jets are the same at the start of the run and as you are crossing the finish line. Once adjusted (changed) in the pits, that's the way they stay until they are adjusted (changed) in the pits again. With efi, that A/F mixture can be programmed to change all the way down the track, to be as close to "perfect" all the way down and all through the operating range on the run. AND IT'S EASY TO DO.

Taking apart a carb and reassembly is not easy. Many poeple are AFRAID to do it but once you have done it a couple of times, IT'S EASY. The good news about efi, there is nothing to take apart. If you can post messages on the YB, you can TUNE a programmable efi system, it does not take much time to learn how to do it.

I have NEVER met a racer that grew up with carburetors, and switched to efi, that has EVER gone back to carbs.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Having had a chance to work with both I will say EFI all the way. The carb works no doubt, and the AFR's will stay good and make plenty of power, but the EFI has so much more to offer.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
efi all the way there is no comparison to the tunability and adjustability of efi from individual cylinder control to traction control and power management you cant beat todays efi. I would never go back to a carb i would get out of racing first. I now at our cecil county 10.5 and outlaw radial classes no one has a carb.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's up vin knew u were gna say that when u seen this post lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for all the help gta stay with blow thru for this year mayb next year efi

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm not going to pick on you but this is the story we hear all the time. To paraphrase what you wrote:

"I can't see how the engine can benifit from efi and I have no idea how to tune efi at the track."

Can you see that these two things might go together? You don't TUNE efi, you PROGRAM it. If you can type words on the YB, you are PROGRAMMING. You are entering DATA. The Yellowbullet is ALREADY set-up so all you have to do is to LOG-ON and type in the space alloted for you. You already know how to type which means, you already know how to TUNE an efi system. You mearly type (program) what you want the air-fuel mixture to be all through the range that the engine is running in. Same with the advance or retard of the ignition system. This is done on a laptop computer in the program that comes with your engine management system. Just like on the YB, you type in little areas ALREADY provided for you on your computer screen.

The reason that you don't know what to do or how to do it is because (for lack of a better word) you are AFRAID that you won't know how. Trust me, IT IS NOT HARD. All these engine managment systems come pre-programmed with a base "tune-up" and you modifiy it as you go. IT IS NOT HARD. You still need to read the plugs (the only eye witness as to what is going on inside the combustion chamber). The benefits of electronic fuel injection are way too numerous to mention but here is a simple explanation. With a carb, the jets are the same at the start of the run and as you are crossing the finish line. Once adjusted (changed) in the pits, that's the way they stay until they are adjusted (changed) in the pits again. With efi, that A/F mixture can be programmed to change all the way down the track, to be as close to "perfect" all the way down and all through the operating range on the run. AND IT'S EASY TO DO.

Taking apart a carb and reassembly is not easy. Many poeple are AFRAID to do it but once you have done it a couple of times, IT'S EASY. The good news about efi, there is nothing to take apart. If you can post messages on the YB, you can TUNE a programmable efi system, it does not take much time to learn how to do it.

I have NEVER met a racer that grew up with carburetors, and switched to efi, that has EVER gone back to carbs.
Pretty spot on.
Carbs have thier place, I do it with a carb to prove it can be done and done well. Is EFI better Heck YES! no pressure loss. Should everyone think a carb is a relic and junk, Heck NO!

·
Registered
271 Posts
X's 2, Good way to put it George.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts