Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Boss
yes that all we do, is wash it in our jet wash that is pretty mild as it does a lot of aluminum stuff and i cant use anything caustic. I use an air hammer with a flat or rounded nose, with about 5-10 psi air pressure to vibrate the block. The instarok shit we use is more liquid, and not much filler, almost like some kind of concrete epoxy...

Carpediem
We do one side at a time, as you have to leave the deck parallel to the floor to keep the mixture parallel to the deck. i typically fill them on my cnc, as i can keep the block 90* and also i know its level front to rear. Glorified $250k block holder.....lol

·
Registered
610 Posts
Boss
yes that all we do, is wash it in our jet wash that is pretty mild as it does a lot of aluminum stuff and i cant use anything caustic. I use an air hammer with a flat or rounded nose, with about 5-10 psi air pressure to vibrate the block. The instarok shit we use is more liquid, and not much filler, almost like some kind of concrete epoxy...

Carpediem
We do one side at a time, as you have to leave the deck parallel to the floor to keep the mixture parallel to the deck. i typically fill them on my cnc, as i can keep the block 90* and also i know its level front to rear. Glorified $250k block holder.....lol
Thanks. So couldn't you torque the mains then torque a torque plate or head on one side and then start to fill the other side after levelling. Then torque a second torque plate on the side you just filled and switch to the other side?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Torque plates on both sides and new head gaskets. More than two torques on the head gaskets showed reduced or no distortion compared to new or one torques gaskets with our testing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Boss
yes that all we do, is wash it in our jet wash that is pretty mild as it does a lot of aluminum stuff and i cant use anything caustic.
Have you used Oakite Super Turbo-Detergent in the washer, I've read it's the best but expensive, I left a message with the rep a few days ago to get a price but haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Have you used Oakite Super Turbo-Detergent in the washer, I've read it's the best but expensive, I left a message with the rep a few days ago to get a price but haven't heard back yet.
ill have to see what we use. im not in today. ill let you know what we use.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have used Embecco 885 metallic grout block filler in iron blocks, have had good luck with it. I was wondering what is the best filler for aluminum blocks is? Has anyone used Embecco 885 or the Instarok in aluminum blocks? I use 2 deck plates with head gaskets and final fasteners when filling and final hone too.
IMG_1153.jpg
4.44.jpg

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I haven't seen that much difference on BBF's. The BBF 460 head fastener bosses are located further away from the cylinder than the Chevy. The intake side head fastener bosses are attached to the valley wall in the water jacket. The exhaust side head fastener bosses are attached to the outer block wall in the water jacket. I haven't seen any difference in bearing clearance when both heads are torqued in place either. The BBF head fasteners are 9/16 diameter and are torqued to 145 ft lbs for iron heads. 135 for aluminum. If the cylinder were going to distort it surely would with this sort of torque.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I use a head gasket (either new or used) with the torque plate. Also have adjustable stands so that the same length studs (or bolts) are installed that will be used on the engine, with the fasteners torqued to the recommended torque values. Main caps torqued in place, too.

"out of round" is not usually an issue when using the torque plate, but rather it helps correct the minute amount of material that is disturbed (distorted) by each head fastener, which typically shows up as waves in the cylinder wall finish.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts