Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I’m sitting here contemplating plucking my motor out to fix a rear main seal leak. I have a Dumb unrelated question - was thinking about ring seal and different types of rings, got thinking about torque plates.
Here’s my question - when using aluminum heads do you only use an aluminum plate to final hone? And when using iron heads do you only use a steel plate? This to get the absolute truest round hole? Probably overthinking it but I would think it makes a difference. No master engine builder here just a thought provoker.

·
Registered
27,191 Posts
As I’m sitting here contemplating plucking my motor out to fix a rear main seal leak. I have a Dumb unrelated question - was thinking about ring seal and different types of rings, got thinking about torque plates.
Here’s my question - when using aluminum heads do you only use an aluminum plate to final hone? And when using iron heads do you only use a steel plate? This to get the absolute truest round hole? Probably overthinking it but I would think it makes a difference. No master engine builder here just a thought provoker.
Yes, they use aluminum for aluminum, and iron for iron. But I’ve learned any torque plate is better then no torque plate on the final hone.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
so true,,, I have noted measurable differences, and I will pluck the figures from the air so don't hold me tightly to them please. More than one sbc iron factory blocks and aluminium heads ,,, turn over the short motor say 20 ft lbs install the heads and no plugs or valve gear say 12 or 14 lbs ,,, consistently... must help... steel torque plates, blocks at room temperature

·
Registered
27,191 Posts
so true,,, I have noted measurable differences, and I will pluck the figures from the air so don't hold me tightly to them please. More than one sbc iron factory blocks and aluminium heads ,,, turn over the short motor say 20 ft lbs install the heads and no plugs or valve gear say 12 or 14 lbs ,,, consistently... must help... steel torque plates, blocks at room temperature
Yes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information guys. I’ve always asked for them anytime block work was being done. Just had never thought about aluminum for aluminum and steel for iron before. 👍

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
while we are on this subject, Has anyone actually measured the "out of round" that we are all sure will exist after removing the torque plates from the block? I haven't

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
while we are on this subject, Has anyone actually measured the "out of round" that we are all sure will exist after removing the torque plates from the block? I haven't
yes. It varies as you would expect. Some shit it almost doesnt look like it does anything, some stuff goes all to hell.
Also, when we do a stocker and fill the block with instarock, i pour the filler in, and bolt the plates on it so the filler hardens with tension on it.

·
Registered
27,191 Posts
yes. It varies as you would expect. Some shit it almost doesnt look like it does anything, some stuff goes all to hell.
Also, when we do a stocker and fill the block with instarock, i pour the filler in, and bolt the plates on it so the filler hardens with tension on it.
That’s a great idea. I should have thought of that.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts

That's what Kuntz and Craft did with my FE block back in the early 90's but they used some type of epoxy half way up the water pump holes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use the same kind of head and gasket and try to keep them on for at least a month on my own stuff anyway. I've never heard of instarock, I use Halco machine grout.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Instarok is a swimming pool based concrete filler. We have fantastic luck with it, i havent seen it trying to come out like some shit does. I have a guy with a 2000 hp vortec ford deal we dry decked with it.......lol. and its still going strong. Hardens pretty quick, so you gotta roll pouring and torquing. but i can fill a block in 1 day, no waiting around for it to cure. I do one side in the morning. Before i leave at night i pull the torque plate, fill the other side and go home

·
Registered
676 Posts
Instarok is a swimming pool based concrete filler. We have fantastic luck with it, i havent seen it trying to come out like some shit does. I have a guy with a 2000 hp vortec ford deal we dry decked with it.......lol. and its still going strong. Hardens pretty quick, so you gotta roll pouring and torquing. but i can fill a block in 1 day, no waiting around for it to cure. I do one side in the morning. Before i leave at night i pull the torque plate, fill the other side and go home
Is the block clean enough after being washed in a normal engine shop parts washer, fairly mild solution here now. And do you tap the block while pouring?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Would it matter if you bolted torque plates on both sides at once or is just one side at a time sufficient? I'm not sure how much if any distortion happens on the other side when using on only one side.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts