Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pydo Racing Pit Bitch
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after realizing I want to shed some extra pounds and eat healthier, I decided its time to replace the good things like burgers and sausage with a healthier alternative. I hear that bison is like a million times healthier that beef with less saturated fat than beef and chicken. So I was wanting to know what everyone's opinions are. I got my eye on a package deal that will include burgers, maple breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, hot dogs, and breakfast strips (which are like bacon from what I know) like 40 total items for $70.

So I guess I just want to know are there any people out there that have made the switch and if so, where do you buy you bison from??? I mean I have had and love venison but this is supposed to be better than that too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I work as a meat cutter and we sell the shit out of the ground bison. We also carry new yourk strips and the sell pretty well. The taste diferense is there, it tastes a little bit "gamier" but the reall selling point is like you said HEALTHY. I could stand to loose a few pounds and I have just by changing to eating Natural meats instead of the injected meats. I see 1st hand what a natral steak looks like and an Injested stake looks like. It doesnt matter what the cow looks like when it hits 8 months old. Its getting slaughtered and the are pumping in the steroids in the cows.

The natural meats taste cleaner and the are able to digest easier. I dont eat organic but I do buy the natural meats and I have noticed ALLLLOT of diference. Hell I grew up on cheap 73/27 ground burger and ate allot of it. I grew to 6-2" and 300lbs by the time I was 18 NOT NORMAL....

To answer your questio, Yes Bison is a great meat but finding a Natural meat/beef/chicken is going to be easier and cheeper

·
Pydo Racing Pit Bitch
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good info thanks. Anyone else out there try it or have opinions on it??? How can you tell and where would one buy Natural Meats as opposed to injected meats??? I love chicken but usually get it from the local grocery store.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I work as a meat cutter and we sell the shit out of the ground bison. We also carry new yourk strips and the sell pretty well. The taste diferense is there, it tastes a little bit "gamier" but the reall selling point is like you said HEALTHY. I could stand to loose a few pounds and I have just by changing to eating Natural meats instead of the injected meats. I see 1st hand what a natral steak looks like and an Injested stake looks like. It doesnt matter what the cow looks like when it hits 8 months old. Its getting slaughtered and the are pumping in the steroids in the cows.

The natural meats taste cleaner and the are able to digest easier. I dont eat organic but I do buy the natural meats and I have noticed ALLLLOT of diference. Hell I grew up on cheap 73/27 ground burger and ate allot of it. I grew to 6-2" and 300lbs by the time I was 18 NOT NORMAL....

To answer your questio, Yes Bison is a great meat but finding a Natural meat/beef/chicken is going to be easier and cheeper

would we be able to tell the difference if you posted a pic? I imagine the lighting would have to be just right.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In a normal supermarket they serve injected meats out on their normal service case. Any SELECT meat is going to be injected wich means it has Steriods, Growth Hormones, Nitric Acids, amd other things. The average cow has a 7-9 month age limit and then its slaughtered If it weighs 1500 lbs or 1900 lbs so they want to get the most bank for the buck. As far as identifing the diference, in a PRIME (aged beef) or Natual (NAtural Choice) the beef will be very Red and have a very White fat line or marbeling. In a Select piece it will have a light with marbeling in it. Chicken breast should not EVER weigh over 1 lb!!! they should weigh .6-.7 oz and be loose not firm and .9-1.2 lbs. Pork also has a Natural line and it AWESOME to eat because its not tough and chewy.

Im trying to find the website that shows the diferent slaughter houses and distributors for the USDA

·
Pydo Racing Pit Bitch
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my Bison yesterday and tried the burgers on the grill. I have to say that it cooks faster than beef. Taste wise was really not that much different than beef other than I over cooked it a bit. The one thing I am going to try and get a handle on is how red is it supposed to be on the inside. Not knowing if it follows the beef cooking theories and letting the grill get away from me, they turned out a tad on the well side. I like my beef burgers medium rare so yeah, this was over done to me. I think once I get the hang of the cook time and what they are supposed to look like inside when cooked complete, I'll be okay. Doesn't help that its like 27 degrees here and my propane grill is a tad bit on the fidgitty side but I still held a under hood temp of around 350 to 375 or medium heat but just didnt have the flame like it would normally in the summer. Might help with the cooking time as well. IDK.

Either way... so far so good. Bison seems like it could be a positive thing for me. I'll be trying to make up omelets this weekend with some of the maple sausage or bison strips in it. Let ya know how that turns out.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Yeah it's cold here in Chicagoland. I've used Bison for shepherd's pie once, it was a little more "gamy" but we liked it. I believe I got it from Whole Foods.

I'd be very interested in buying natural meat. I do go to City Provisions in the city for grass-fed ground beef as often as I can.

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,124 Posts
i like bison also , actually eat a good bit of it during the summer months . winter we usually do beef roasts inside , every now and again ill do a few steaks on the grill . but i get my bison from jackson hole buffalo company . its pricey , but worth it especially with shipping , i got lucky last year and was able to just pick up an order in jackson on a trip just stuck it in the RV freezer .

http://www.jhbuffalomeat.com/

any other online places to order it ? im not aware of any bison butchers in the central PA area so i just order online .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts