Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Noonan is the first company I contacted, I was originally going LS platform. After trying 3 times to get a timeframe or information back from them I gave up, obviously they had too much on to bother getting back in touch with me.

6BOOST
That doesn't sound good, I know there resources were stretched in getting ready for the PRI show, but they should of responded. ...

I can only go by my experience. I dealt with Noonan in Australia, who then put me in touch with the USA rep. So less of an issue on time difference for me...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Wow, good to know on the mains.... I shall check on the dry deck and report back with my findings. It's nice to see we now have other options as far as LS billet block manufactures go!!! A little competition is always a welcomed thing....
Callies now offer a billet block as well. Not cheap, they are like $12500usd, but there is becoming more and more options.

6BOOST

·
WHO DAT???
15,725 Posts
The noonan block is Cleveland mains. I doubt they could do a water block with dry deck due to machining processes, but I guess you could ask.

6BOOST

Supposedly Dart has the capability to do so....And with that being said, I guess I was just assuming they could as well...But I shall put in a phone call to find out.... I hope I have better luck reaching someone than you had......

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That doesn't sound good, I know there resources were stretched in getting ready for the PRI show, but they should of responded. ...

I can only go by my experience. I dealt with Noonan in Australia, who then put me in touch with the USA rep. So less of an issue on time difference for me...
I am from Australia and spoke to the Australian branch, it was only 2 weeks ago, so well after PRI. I'm sure they had plenty on, i can be hopeless with returning calls as well so its not a shot at them, I am just not gonna keep calling someone to give them $10000.

6BOOST

·
WHO DAT???
15,725 Posts
Callies now offer a billet block as well. Not cheap, they are like $12500usd, but there is becoming more and more options.

6BOOST

Callies really??? Well that's good to know!!! I wonder if that's some sort of payback for Dart getting into billet cranks??? Hmmm???

I think the price we were getting from Dart with an LS Next 2 billet wet block and the dry deck was something like $14k or maybe even a bit more. That's just kinda hard to swallow when a CN billet big block can be had for 10 grand. That's four thousand big ones that can go towards a nice crankshaft and some rods!!! We tried to convince CN to get into the LS market but they just didn't want to hear any of it. Oh well, with Noonan and now Callies in the game at least we're having more options and maybe, just maybe Dart will feel the need to be a bit more competitive.... I'm going to have to place a phone call to Callies and see what they have to say....

Thanks for the good information and best of luck with your project you have going on down there, Mate!!! :smt023

·
WHO DAT???
15,725 Posts
The noonan block is Cleveland mains. I doubt they could do a water block with dry deck due to machining processes, but I guess you could ask.

6BOOST

Well, I was finally able to find the time to give these guys a call at their USA location and spoke with one of the Noonan guys himself. But he was in the machine shop running a machine so our conversation was rather brief. But he did tell me that doing a water block with a dry deck should be no problem at all. So that's good to hear for sure!!! Also, they now offer a canted valve LS head which is available in solid or with water passages!!! All good news for sure!!! Anyways, he's going to have his sales person get back with me so we can go over the specifics on the block!!! Now, I already own a pair of LS-R heads done up by Mr. Curtis Boggs, but those Noona billet pieces sure are very appealing. So we'll just have to see how the conversation goes with the billet block first and then explore the heads from there!!!

Once I hear back from the Sales guy I'll let you guys know how that conversation went!!! The only real concern I have is, will this block be as good or if not better than the Dart LS Next 2 billet offering??? And I guess that would be the Dart Splayed billet caps versus the typical LS cross bolted caps on the Noonan block???

Now I guess it won't hurt to give the guys over a Callies a quick phone call to see what they have to offer!!!

It's nice to see we're having more and more options with this LS platform for sure!!!

·
WHO DAT???
15,725 Posts
Ok, I just spoke with a Callies salesman, and yes they are doing Billet LS blocks but only solid blocks and standard deck heights right now. But he did say they will be offering tall deck blocks along with water versions but those about a year away from being available. And as for a cost comparison, the standard deck solid block sells for $11000.00 out the door. Which I do believe is right around the same for a Dart solid block.....

Anyways, there's that!!! And like I said before, it sure is nice to see more and more options are now becoming available!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well, I was finally able to find the time to give these guys a call at their USA location and spoke with one of the Noonan guys himself. But he was in the machine shop running a machine so our conversation was rather brief. But he did tell me that doing a water block with a dry deck should be no problem at all. So that's good to hear for sure!!! Also, they now offer a canted valve LS head which is available in solid or with water passages!!! All good news for sure!!! Anyways, he's going to have his sales person get back with me so we can go over the specifics on the block!!! Now, I already own a pair of LS-R heads done up by Mr. Curtis Boggs, but those Noona billet pieces sure are very appealing. So we'll just have to see how the conversation goes with the billet block first and then explore the heads from there!!!

Once I hear back from the Sales guy I'll let you guys know how that conversation went!!! The only real concern I have is, will this block be as good or if not better than the Dart LS Next 2 billet offering??? And I guess that would be the Dart Splayed billet caps versus the typical LS cross bolted caps on the Noonan block???

Now I guess it won't hurt to give the guys over a Callies a quick phone call to see what they have to offer!!!

It's nice to see we're having more and more options with this LS platform for sure!!!
The Noonan block isn't a standard cross bolted piece, when you see the mains in that sucker you won't be concerned with comparing strength to the dart splayed cap lol.

6BOOST

·
WHO DAT???
15,725 Posts
The Noonan block isn't a standard cross bolted piece, when you see the mains in that sucker you won't be concerned with comparing strength to the dart splayed cap lol.

6BOOST

Isn't it spayed somewhat? I just got off the phone with their U.S. salesman but the bad thing is he's not too familiar with the LS stuff, he's an old alcohol hemi guy. Now he said he didn't think they could do a dry deck water block and I understand why he says that as they use the MID sleeves for their water blocks. Unlike how Dart carves out the coolant passages from the outside, Noonan carves thiers from the inside then add the MID sleeves. I'm sure that's going to be plenty strong but I was really wanting to do a water block with a dry deck. Now the guy that I had a brief conversation in the machine shop today stated they could do a water block with a dry deck. I guess we'll have to get some kind of confirmation on that one....

Man, and their pricing is much better than Dart!!! And the only upcharge they have is for lifter bushings if you choose to go with those. That's like an extra $450. You can even choose babbitt or roller bearings for the camshaft and it's still the same price!!! How nice that is!!! And from what he said they're already selling quite a few of them!!! This is real good for the LS world!!! And not only that, they have a canted valve billet head just as well.... But I'm sure you guys already know about that, being that ya'll always on top of things!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Mine was quoted 12 weeks took 6 months lol but that was a few years back
Well it seems nothing has changed Jim. Quoted 14-16 weeks, we are at nearly 6 months. They won't give us a model for the deck face or the lifter layout, so can't start designing the billet heads for it, and now going to miss the biggest radial meeting in the world outside of the US because of it. Fuck you CN Blocks. Never again.

6BOOST

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Isn't it spayed somewhat? I just got off the phone with their U.S. salesman but the bad thing is he's not too familiar with the LS stuff, he's an old alcohol hemi guy. Now he said he didn't think they could do a dry deck water block and I understand why he says that as they use the MID sleeves for their water blocks. Unlike how Dart carves out the coolant passages from the outside, Noonan carves thiers from the inside then add the MID sleeves. I'm sure that's going to be plenty strong but I was really wanting to do a water block with a dry deck. Now the guy that I had a brief conversation in the machine shop today stated they could do a water block with a dry deck. I guess we'll have to get some kind of confirmation on that one....

Man, and their pricing is much better than Dart!!! And the only upcharge they have is for lifter bushings if you choose to go with those. That's like an extra $450. You can even choose babbitt or roller bearings for the camshaft and it's still the same price!!! How nice that is!!! And from what he said they're already selling quite a few of them!!! This is real good for the LS world!!! And not only that, they have a canted valve billet head just as well.... But I'm sure you guys already know about that, being that ya'll always on top of things!!!
noonan use their hemi main caps on the LSX block, they are splayed billet alloy on the solid blocks, im not sure what they use on the water blocks as i only asked them about the solid blocks..

we were going to order one but it worked out over twice the price of using a dart iron block with ford mains in it.. we are right on the weight limit for the class with a solid filled iron so putting a $13500 billet block then 100lb of lead in the car didnt really make good sence..

·
Registered
272 Posts
No billet block manufacture comes close to the lead times and prices of Noonan. The machine work and detail on the Noonan is second to none also.

We are putting together a Noonan LS with the hemi style mains now. We are also using our billet inline heads again. Our CGI iron block made it 100 passes before ripping the mains out of it. Our heads have 150 passes or so now and we have no trouble with head sealing at all. We have been running 55-62psi for the last 100 passes.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Well it seems nothing has changed Jim. Quoted 14-16 weeks, we are at nearly 6 months. They won't give us a model for the deck face or the lifter layout, so can't start designing the billet heads for it, and now going to miss the biggest radial meeting in the world outside of the US because of it. Fuck you CN Blocks. Never again.

6BOOST
Sorry i had the same deal 50% down and 50 % when it was 2-3 weeks ready to ship that was another 2 months.They have a women that answers the phone that will not let you talk to anyone about where they are at on your block.i thru a massive fit on the phone and told them i was driving down to pick it up as is bam 2 weeks later it shipped. It was a very nice block i will give them that

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Another 2 weeks down, still no block. Can't get past the receptionist, seems someone is always on the phone/on vacation/out of the shop. Quoted 16 week lead time is currently 26 and counting.......

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Aaaaaaaaaand another 5 weeks down, zero correspondence, no time frame, no block, we are now at 7 months and counting.

I highly suggest NO ONE ever purchase a block from CN.

6BOOST

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Energy Manufacturing are the blocks shown on Callies website. They had a couple of tall decks setting on pallets ready to go when I was there last month. Contact Ben Mens at 419-355-9304

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Another 5 weeks down, still no block, 8 months 2 weeks and counting. Word of warning to all, NEVER FUCKING ORDER A BLOCK FROM CN BLOCKS.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts