Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I didn't know what area to post this in but it will be turbo so I figure this is as good a place as any. I am building a 4.5" bore space sbc and am in need of a billet block, I could possibly get away with a solid cast item like the brodix, but I'd like to do it once and do it right. My concern is im on a relatively tight time frame, and every review and story I seem to hear from almost every block manufacturer is that 4-8-12 week lead times blow out to 6-9 or 12+ months, which I just can't afford. If you have experience dealing with anyone in particular that you can comfortably recommend getting it done in a timely manner, i'd love to hear about it.

Regards,

6BOOST.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Do not go with LSM. Try Weston Machine. If you go through a shop that deals with them regularly, you will probably get it quicker.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Surely, if your going to give good coin for a billlet block, wouldn't it be better to wait for the best available out there.

Doesn't make sense to say you want to do it right & once only. Yet, not be prepared to wait for the best.... maybe it's me

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Surely, if your going to give good coin for a billlet block, wouldn't it be better to wait for the best available out there.

Doesn't make sense to say you want to do it right & once only. Yet, not be prepared to wait for the best.... maybe it's me
I don't know whats so hard to understand about the statement to keep bringing it up, I don't have 9 months to wait for a block, and I don't have time to deal with a company that says 12 weeks, and still takes 6-9 months. Which is common from what I have heard. I asked for peoples experiences who have had a block made and by who, to hopefully get an insight into who sticks to their timelines and doesn't take 6+ months. I don't expect the thing in 4 weeks, but calling me out on it like I'm impatient not wanting to wait 6-9 months is a little ridiculous.

Kyle

·
Registered
49,371 Posts
should I buy a high end 5 aixs machine and start making billet blocks ? I didn't think the demand was this high ?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I don't know whats so hard to understand about the statement to keep bringing it up, I don't have 9 months to wait for a block, and I don't have time to deal with a company that says 12 weeks, and still takes 6-9 months. Which is common from what I have heard. I asked for peoples experiences who have had a block made and by who, to hopefully get an insight into who sticks to their timelines and doesn't take 6+ months. I don't expect the thing in 4 weeks, but calling me out on it like I'm impatient not wanting to wait 6-9 months is a little ridiculous.

Kyle
You better start looking for a used block then...
Dart did my sbf billet block in 12 weeks, quoted 10 weeks. IMO this is a bad time of the year to be looking for short lead times on parts.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Kyle
I didn't know that you had kept bringing this subject up, as no mention was in your post or in the replies to your post. So I don't feel like I was calling you out....

Good luck in your search

·
Registered
49,371 Posts
You would loose a lot of $$$$$$ getting into the game at this point if you have to buy a machine to get started.
I would buy a used machine, depends on the output rate to, I don't need to make 9 blocks a day to be happy.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You better start looking for a used block then...
Dart did my sbf billet block in 12 weeks, quoted 10 weeks. IMO this is a bad time of the year to be looking for short lead times on parts.
12 weeks is fine as suggested. 14-16 weeks is doable. But stretching it out to 6-9 months isn't. I'm surprised at your post, as everything I hear and read dart are the worst for saying 10-12 weeks and taking 9+ months (not a shot at dart, I hear they are one of the best, but that comes from someone who has purchased multiple blocks from them).

I guess all I can do is call dart and CN blocks and see what they'll do.

6BOOST

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Haha you couldn't afford the tooling let alone a used machine to build a block :rolleyes: .
Add in the cost of the software.....Have you priced Solid Works with Cam Works and the tool posts needed? And the knowledge needed to map a block out correctly with the options needed...And tooling is probably $100k at least.

I would love to do this for a living, but I work for machining company's and this stuff ain't cheap...Add regular maintenance in and wow...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, CN Blocks says 14 weeks. I guess we'll see how accurate the time frame is:)

Thanks for the feedback and help guys.

6BOOST

1 - 20 of 72 Posts