Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone running the Billet Aluminum Pinon Yokes from Stange/Moser/QuickPerformance????

Stumbled across one local to get our car up and going this weekend. Ran it for one weekend with no problems, Just wondering if I should leave it as a permanent piece or not........

3130lb with Driver Buick Regal
9inch 1350 Brute Force Solid Ujoint
Strange Billet Chrome-moly Slip Yoke
Powerglide
Stock bottom end LS2 - Pump Gas 11:1 SCR
Transbrake
5500rpm Stall
11.15 @ 4600ft DA

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
aluminum to me would wear out eventually but idk about the billet stuff. Id prefer a billet steel yoke

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
Because aluminum has a lower yield limit, and even if your below it, the stresses build in the part over time until they fracture causing failure.

Aircraft are life limited due to this, and all supercritical parts under massive stress are usually made out of stainless.

After seeing what a driveshaft failure can do. There is no fucking way I would worry about a few ounces for a reduction in safety.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered a billet steel unit 2day from quick performance and plan on keeping my billet aluminum pieces as a spare in another carrier, but not fulltime use.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Because aluminum has a lower yield limit, and even if your below it, the stresses build in the part over time until they fracture causing failure.

Aircraft are life limited due to this, and all supercritical parts under massive stress are usually made out of stainless.

After seeing what a driveshaft failure can do. There is no fucking way I would worry about a few ounces for a reduction in safety.

Thats not true, to make a blanket statement saying ALL aluminum is weaker is wrong, very wrong.

Airplanes have many different stresses and movements and they need much more movement, there are many reasons why they retire planes after so many years, not the aluminum is weak, more like the bonded areas and rivets are worn from the constant flexing... Using a airplane as a intelligent argument for a end yoke is really dopey...

AL unlike steel doesn't stay stressed, so even if you stressed a AL end yoke, at the end of the run and ready for next pass it is back to 100%, steel doesn't have that ability, you stress it 70% you only got 30% left next time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i take it the Neapco BruteForce Solid 1350 U Joints are the weakest link then??? What do most of you recommend other than the Bruteforce stuff??

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Shaft,aluminum will eventually cold work it self to death.Why do we replace our alumimum rods after x number of passes? I know that there are thousands of examples or Al being used in critical points on an automotive chassis,but I think that an Al yoke should not be one.BTW good call on Spicer. JD

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Shaft,aluminum will eventually cold work it self to death.Why do we replace our alumimum rods after x number of passes? I know that there are thousands of examples or Al being used in critical points on an automotive chassis,but I think that an Al yoke should not be one.BTW good call on Spicer. JD
im not an engineer, but that statement is apples and oranges. a yoke is going to be mostly at a non changing temperature in a twisting mannor, while an aluminum rod is heat cycled and stretched by mechanical force.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick question, what makes the spicer 1350 ujoint more supieor than the brute force?? Both are solid maintenance free units is there a design flaw with the brute force?? Or is it like, i prefer chevrolet while you prefer ford??

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Quick question, what makes the spicer 1350 ujoint more supieor than the brute force?? Both are solid maintenance free units is there a design flaw with the brute force?? Or is it like, i prefer chevrolet while you prefer ford??
Material quality.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

The end yoke doesn't have the heat cycle issues that the rod is experiencing, which is the interval problem with that.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

the material, the cold forge process and it's not being made in a china copycat company...

Maybe if your bruteforce is more than 3 years old, but if it's newer than that you have a gamble there.

The spicer 1310 spl is stronger than the brutefoce 1350 before china got there hands on them and copied them

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alrighty, dont know how old my bruteforce joints are. But I have heard the Neapco no longer makes a bruteforce joint and all that is available is the neapco HD greaseable stuff.

I will look at the box and see how old they are. any other easy ways to see if they are china units or not??

I hate CHINA copycat companies fwiw!!

Blueprint engines in your jegs/summit catalog is a prime example of a CHINA copycat shit hole!~

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
fact is..

aluminum yokes are no diferent than an aluminum spool

they all have weight advantages..but overall life is shorter by quite a bit..

have seen two of them that the flange nut came loose only because the aluminum material wore / crushed a little and thus lost bearing preload...

people that run these things have looked at HUNDRED OTHER PLACES to get gains...and when there is no other place to find a gain in speed, then this is one of the last places to find something.

but the gain aint much...!!!! ........if at all....

note that all of the people that run the aluminum stuff take their car totally apart at least once or twice each year...

and I know of quite a few "class racers" that purposely run the CHEAP and weak U-joints just only because they weigh a few ounces less..but they replace them EVERY EVENT..after six or so passes..

no different than any other race part.....you cannot just leave it in there forever...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well if you know of anyone looking for a aluminum QP 1350 28spline unit let me know. This one has 8 passes on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts