Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine (he's not the mayor) is seeing some separation on his new MT ET Streets. He's concerned that they're not safe.

These were recently purchased from McCormack Racing.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well they may have been made 2 years ago but I only got them mid to late last season. I guess they were sitting there in stock at McCormack (800-999-DRAG). I don't even think they have 50 passes on them.

They stay in a climate controlled garage, never gets under 50F year round. This is at least my 10th set of ET Streets and I've never seen this before.

Scared the heck out of me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So you're saying 2 year old ET Streets should be splitting apart like this? That's acceptable?

Plenty of tread left on them, I was just getting to the good part :)

BTW this only happened on one of them, other tire is fine although I obviously had to replace the pair.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Need to hook, can't go any higher. I run them 15 psi cold, which is about 18-20 psi hot.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I would have to look at the tires a little closer to determine if they , but they are worn down to the wear bars so they have been used quite a bit.

Is there someone local that can look at them a little closer???

Thanks,

Jason Moulton

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would have to look at the tires a little closer to determine if they , but they are worn down to the wear bars so they have been used quite a bit.

Is there someone local that can look at them a little closer???

Thanks,

Jason Moulton
Jason,
Thanks for the reply. It's just the one tire and I couldn't believe those splits (3 of them) on one side of the tire. It kind of freaked me out.
Let me know what you mean by someone local? I live on Long Island, NY, I can take them to a local speed shop or a local tire place, you tell me?
Also, you'll be happy to know I already purchased a set of brand new ET Streets and they are mounted and balanced and ready to go.
Just wanted to see if Uncle Mickey could help out in some way.
Thanks, and please advise.
Bill

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
A local tire shop would be best, but at the point they are worn, if you are driving them on the street, I'd say you were ready for a new set at this point anyhow.

Thanks,

Jason Moulton

·
Registered
57 Posts
A local tire shop would be best, but at the point they are worn, if you are driving them on the street, I'd say you were ready for a new set at this point anyhow.

Thanks,

Jason Moulton
Jason,
Not sure what you need from a local tire shop? You want them to inspect for...?

Also, I don't drive these on the street, ever. These have never seen pavement outside the track.

I run ET Streets because they make me eligible for 'Street Tire' shootouts at the local tracks. Full slicks make me ineligible to race in certain classes.

Plus, God forbid, I ever get a flat while driving to and from the track on my street tires, I can put the ET Streets on, pray for no rain, and drive home. No room for a spare when I carry two 28" tall slicks on board.

Personally as someone who has run these exact tires in this exact size the last 10 years, I don't think these are even close to being done - The ET Streets have plenty of tread left to race with, as a matter of fact the lower the tread gets the get the better I think they hook because they get closer to being a true slick. Again, I only run these so I qualify for street car events.

Please advise, as stated I'm a loyal customer, this is at minimum my 10th pair of ET Streets. This tire is clearly defective, it's splitting down the side.

Bill

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks so much.

Will give you a shout later or after the holiday weekend.

Like I said, no rush, I already bought me some brand spanking new Mickeys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts