Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the motor apart refreshing it and was kicking around the idea of swapping heads/intake to something like the Kuntz and Co head that flows around 370 and bigger intake manifold. Currently i run AFR 225's that flow 320ish and the super victor intake.

So do i run more boost with the current combo..or run some nice heads to maximize hp naturally aspirated which will in turn produce more power under boost?

Opinions are wanted. Thanks

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
What charger and how much power you want to make those are decent heads you have now. If you are running the 106 in the sig i would want more head and better intake JMO.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
running a 106 currently and may step down to an 88 for the X275 races when i can go. But mainly run the 106. Power? made 1250 on 24psi with current setup. What kind of hp does it take to run 4.80's @ 3400lbs ?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Whats your 60 foot. With 1250 you should be in 5.10 to 5.30s...If you go from a 106 to a 88 you will have to change convertors

·
Registered
385 Posts
What are you using to tune and what's the elevation where you are located?

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Give Matt a call and see what he can do for you using the stuff you already have. He does amazing work. http://mbellc.com/

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car has run 5.20's with a dismal 1.3X sixty ft (still working on that). And 8.16 at 176 out the back door pedaling in the 1/4.

I have talked to Keith Craft...they said its not worth porting what i have because i will end up with minimal gains. XSR says its worth porting and can get the intake runner to the 230's. Im not sure what to do.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I wouldn't think porting them would be worth the effort or money spent, in a real world turbo setup like yours. Sounds like you need to work on the chassis.

I have a customer named Jeff (can't remember his last name) in North Carolina who has run 4.80's in the 1/8 with a 342 and TFS 225 heads out of the box. He said his chassis is KILLER, it must be...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been told by "turbo guys" that displacement and head flow don't really matter on a turbo motor and spending the money on better heads was just a waste of money. :confused: Of course i call total BS on that theory. :)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I've been told by "turbo guys" that displacement and head flow don't really matter on a turbo motor and spending the money on better heads was just a waste of money. :confused: Of course i call total BS on that theory. :)
thats true to a point. kinda

·
Registered
84 Posts
thats true to a point. kinda

I guess i should have put in context of what it was all about. I'm looking for as much hp as i can safely get on 91 pumpgas for my jetboat, as of now my build consist of a 598 BBF with B441 (prostock) hemi heads, just under 9:1 cr and a 1400cfm C&S carb and they were telling me a alot smaller motor and standard heads would make almost the same power at the same boost, BS! :)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

yep...im kinda coming to that conclusion. At this point i think i got "decent" top end but wasnt sure if an extra 20-30cfm is gonna help. Just need to work on the chassis now and turn it up

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
We got a set of D3's that are extremely nice... they're bare, but we have titanium intake for them... also have a matching manifold... can't get much better then D3's

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I guess i should have put in context of what it was all about. I'm looking for as much hp as i can safely get on 91 pumpgas for my jetboat, as of now my build consist of a 598 BBF with B441 (prostock) hemi heads, just under 9:1 cr and a 1400cfm C&S carb and they were telling me a alot smaller motor and standard heads would make almost the same power at the same boost, BS! :)
Not at the same boost . not as long as you have a decebt charger. I would rather have the same power at a lower boost when on pumpgas.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Is it just me, or does 1250 seem low for that turbo at that boost?

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Is it just me, or does 1250 seem low for that turbo at that boost?
If its a small motor and low compression, its could be right on target. For a 427 to 450" it sounds low.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts