Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a big wheelie and came down kinda hard. Didn't Notice anything obvious after the wheelie but for the next pass the car is now leaning hard to the right. The only thing I come up with is my Afco shock might have broke a seal? It compresses easy but does not return like the left side. Took them out of the car and they both seem to act the same by hand. Any ideas on what to look for if not the shock? I checked front springs, ladder bar brackets, mounts etc etc. found nothing out of place. I'm a little stumped because both shocks seem to act the same by hand but while in the car seemed like one didn't work right. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My brothers car put the whole car up on the wheelie bars, he had to lift because the motor was on the rev limiter.
Car was sitting with a tilt, bent the ladder bars and we had to redo the preload

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you suspect one shock is not working correctly swap them from one side to the other and see if the problem follows the shock...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Shocks do not carry any weight it sounds like the chassis is preloaded somehow start taking measurement. Inspect welds if you run a 12 bolt inspect axle tube welds the tube could be twisted

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! MiNdErAsEr, I swapped them just a little while ago thinking the same thing. I realize I infact do have single adjustable shocks and they were set differently. Thats why when I pushed on the bumper, that one side acted differently. What I have found now is not only the car sitting way low on pass side, the rear is also way to the left in the car. I have a funny feeling I twisted an axle tube in the right rear closest to the center section. Even the shock mount looks twisted/rotated on that side. Front ladder bar mount looks ok and like mario mentioned, it seems like the car is preloaded different. I dont think it happened in the wheelstand now either. Watching the videos, the car is still level going down track and felt good for the rest of the pass. I did take a hard left turn onto the return road though and a little faster then I should have, maybe that put a ton of stress on something like that axle tube like camaro 77 said?? Diagonal like isnt bent either. kinda stumped. will keep looking though.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Just grasping at straws here, but is it possible that you could have bent or cracked an A-arm? If one is, everything could act normally until it sees a load and binds up while the other side still moves freely. To check, just disconnect the shocks and make certain the entire assembly has full range of movement on BOTH sides of the car. Not saying it's likely, but it is one possibility to look at.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
You didn't post what was done to the frame before this moon shot.4 point roll bar etc???. I have seen cars that over time are so twisted the body lines don't match up and the doors have a hard time closing. Hell have even seen windshields crack.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car is a ladder bar backhalf with stock front suspension and has full cage. I looked at the front a arms/suspension and although the shocks are now pulled out the bottom of the arms, I dont see anything else out of place. Everything seemed fine until I tried to make a second pass where it did t the "g body twist" lifting the left front way higher and car was steering itself hard to the right under power. when I jack the rear of the car the right rear tire is up much higher then the left, thats why Im thinking axle twist because its seems like a severe preload condition. Im going to unhook front ladder bar bolts and see what happens, maybe even drop the rear out and try to see how square it is. For the right tire to be higher in the car, what would the ladder bars look like, lower on the pass side? because thats what it seems like, the right axle tube rotated to make the right ladder bar lower.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Aaaaaa the shocks pulling out of the A-arms?????.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found the problem. I pulled the rear housing and its bent/twisted all to hell. Going to see if local chassis shop can straighten and if they can, add a back brace too. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
Are ladder bars more prone to twist the housing ? I twisted my rear end and the rear was binding when pushing the car.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Alot of force is placed on a ladder bar bracket when you turn of the race track I was told this years ago buy a chassis builder .

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alot of force is placed on a ladder bar bracket when you turn of the race track I was told this years ago buy a chassis builder .
I think this is how my axle tube bent, I took the return road turn a little too fast in my opinion. Chassis guy said its fixable but I cant run a standard 2x3 rear brace because of where my coil overs are mounted. Said maybe a tube style rear brace but since its a small web housing he feels it wont make too much of a difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts