Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
We were sitting around the wood stove in a buddies garage yesterday and the subjects of cranes and drag lines came up. Cox's old man worked in the mine where the Big Muskie operated. He remembered seeing it in action as a kid before they moved. Small world, Huh...................

Bent

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
Built by Bucyrus-Erie , it's all scrap metal now with the exception of the bucket.The big Muskie bucket was 220 yards and the largest made now is 152 yards.
from the pics above the bucket looks like it is on display. There are steps welded onto the bucket for easy entry

·
Registered
28,605 Posts
from the pics above the bucket looks like it is on display. There are steps welded onto the bucket for easy entry
It is still on display Dom. I remember the Muskie,the mountaineer and the gem when I was a kid. Big sum bitches.

Reactions: wick

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
When I was young we were going on a trip to my aunts house from central Ohio to Powhatan Point on the Ohio river. I remember my dad saying we had to hurry up and leave because the Muskie was going to cross Interstate 70 the next day. We went by the crossing area and they had what looked like 10,000 timbers piled up to lay across the highway for it to "walk" over. I guess it took an entire day to get done. All I ever saw of the machine as a kid was the boom sticking up next to the freeway. The bucket is on display somewhere on I-77, I've been there but can't remember the exit. There's a sign telling you where to exit to see it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts