Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
"I like money" More Plz!
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm probably at risk of loosing my "man card" for buying a grill so small ( LOL ), but it's really all I need for me and the gf here at my small crib. It's rare to cook here but I do sometimes. She has a bigger grill at hers and is studying on purchasing a BGE Large or XL.

I don't cook much here but finally decided I needed a grill. Tired of the frying pan, stove, & oven taste.

I'm specifically looking for Advice & Recipes on cooking, smoking, etc. with the BGE MINI. BUT, for those of you who have BGE med, large, XL, & XXL's, if there are tips, good recipes, separate attachments, and anything needed for good cooking and smoking, please share it here.

-What wood chips / chunks do you use?
-Do you soak your smoking wood chips / chunks.
-What charcoal do you buy? BGE brand, wood lump, store bought briquettes, etc. ???
-heat and cook times for certain meats?

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

Looks funny in the floor of my TDI Golf... lol

·
"I like money" More Plz!
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cooked a couple 3/4 inch thick ribeyes tonight and then some chicken quarters...

At 500+* i seared the steaks for only 2 mins each side and they turned out perfect!!

Then let the heat settle dow a bit and put on two chicken thigh/leg quarters. I didn't time it bit cooked at 350-400 for approx. 30 mins or so and they were great too!!

I used some Hickory wood chips bought in the store..

·
"I like money" More Plz!
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You just stepped up into deliciousness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha!!! I know that's right... Food was great tonight..

Has me really wanting a big one now.. Just so dang expensive..

BTW... Got a smokin deal (pardon the pun) on this... They retail for $380-$490 from what I've seen.. This on was Brand New and I only paid $125. :)
(Private sale for a promo piece for a business)

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I really want wana those bastards. But damn the price is insane. Still want one. Tax returns arnt too far away......... Or car parts?........ Or vacation......... Or hookers and blow.......

·
"I like money" More Plz!
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LMAO!! ^^^

I hear ya brother....

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
The GF wants one. How much of a learning curve over a Webber?
From what I understand. It's hard to fuck it up with one of theses. That's why they are so high.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's the best think out although I have a large I have 5 different smokers the egg and the traeger pellet smoker are my top smokers . Try trigger creek lump coal on the egg.

·
"I like money" More Plz!
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the best think out although I have a large I have 5 different smokers the egg and the traeger pellet smoker are my top smokers . Try trigger creek lump coal on the egg.
Trigger Creek... Hmmm

Will have to find a source around here..

What about wood chips / chunks? How do you do it and what wood do you use?

Friend of mine uses cherry wood...

·
"I like money" More Plz!
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The GF wants one. How much of a learning curve over a Webber?
My first time tonight and it went very well with steaks and chicken...

Steaks on high heat and short time for each side... Done perfect
Chicken lower heat and 30-40 mins it was perfect...

I'm hooked

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
My first time tonight and it went very well with steaks and chicken...

Steaks on high heat and short time for each side... Done perfect
Chicken lower heat and 30-40 mins it was perfect...

I'm hooked
Phuck you!

·
"I like money" More Plz!
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Phuck you!
LOL

Check craiglist... Heard you can fin these used for $100 or so...

The mini will get ya started like I did... I lucked up on my deal.
No way I'd pay $400+ for a new mini from a store... I'd save for a med or large at least...

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,908 Posts
I got a "fake egg" aka the KingGriller Komado and I love it.

3/4" steak at 550 degrees, 3 minutes per side was perfect medium, no pink inside yet red juices.

$4 pizza at 600 degrees on a stone, 9 minutes, perfect crust with just a hint of char.

Then this was 7 hours into a 10 hour cook, 6.5 lb pork shoulder....

Only spent $190 for the grill, end of summer clearance.

·
"I like money" More Plz!
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awe man!! That's the only thing about this Mini. Not big enough for a pork shoulder.

Love me some smoked puled pork.

·
Registered
370 Posts
strapped a bunch of true hibachi egg into the seats of a navy transport plane . about 30yrs ago ...there still going strong .
we use kingsford brickettes , hickory ,oak and apple wood chunks and used up barrel wood from brewery after they done their dead to the beer
noting better than a burger over brandy /saison aged oak strips

·
Registered
239 Posts
Also check out the primo grill forums. Well organized and great info. I have had a BGE Xl for 5 years or so and got rid of the gas grill this spring. Have fun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a large big green egg and i love it.I won it at a bbq comp last year.The plate setter is a must if you plan to do some smoking on it.I have used bge charcoal but so far my favorite is royal oak lump in the green bag really no need for wood chunks or chips plenty of smoke flavor

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you use wood chips, soak them and you probably don't need as much as you think. One handful at most. Spread them out, not in a pile.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts