Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Most think that they should lower te comp by (1) full point and limit the blover overdrive . Then the crew/tuners wouldn't be able to overcome the limitation

It's not un-common on our crew to take comp out of our combo if we have a really soft track and actually go faster in some stuations. We either change a head gasket ane we also have another rod/piston combo fit to that sleave

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
You could pull the wicker bill and 1 inch off of a FC spoiler and that's probably 2 tenths...

·
Registered
101 Posts
HOW ABOUT FIX THE DAMN TRACKS!!! NASCAR didnt change their cars, they modernized the damn tracks. WAKE UP NHRA!
What about the totally new "Car of Tomorrow" now Today.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
fuel pump is the easiest to do..yea it leans it out..but its all in tuning to keep it alive for 1000'.

on another note....the shut down area.
ever see the safety nets that pop up when a jet over runs on a carrier deck?..
yea yea i know more $$$ to be spent by the track owners..it's just a thought.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The easiest way to slow them down would be to rextrict blower OD, and limit to one Mag and one fuel pump. The really good way would be to have a spec pump and mag that would be given to the racers at the race, like CART used to so with their wastegates to limit boost. But that would involve a competent and well-staffed tech department.......

·
T/S 368E
38,934 Posts

My 2 cents, the article Dale did is the best idea yet. Same parts, same tools, same sounds ect ect.
I also thought the downforce restrictions was an excellent idea also.

Changing size is a waste of money. With Dale's set up, all it costs is a pulley. They slow down, if too much or not enough,
all it costs is a pulley. Not a fan of the soft wall either. Don't think it cost effective.

Another goofy thought I had the other day. How about having the track get narrower in the shut down.
If the car is out of control, less track if they go wall to wall, might help soften the force.
Scrub off some speed along the wall. Direct the car into the sand straighter. Sounds stupid, I know, just a thought.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
The easiest way to slow them down would be to rextrict blower OD, and limit to one Mag and one fuel pump. The really good way would be to have a spec pump and mag that would be given to the racers at the race, like CART used to so with their wastegates to limit boost. But that would involve a competent and well-staffed tech department.......
If you look back in post I also say limit pump/magneto it just makes sence to me, it's what it takes to go fast.

But your fuel crew will argu, if you limit pumps and you put "heat" in the motor and damage parts. Pumps are used to cool and flow fuel to control detonation whitout it. A good T/F pump flos above 80 gpm

·
T/S 368E
38,934 Posts
fuel pump is the easiest to do..yea it leans it out..but its all in tuning to keep it alive for 1000'.

I was thinking of the safety nets we had on carriers also. My thinking was a drop down style, that acts like a draw bridge.
NHRA would bring it with them. It would attach to the cement walls or cement ground pad.
Once designed, and the cement is installed. It comes & goes like the video screens. Another stupid thought, I know.

One pump, one mag is worth testing also.

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts

Its amazing how everyone is so worried about safety now...

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you look back in post I also say limit pump/magneto it just makes sence to me, it's what it takes to go fast.

But your fuel crew will argu, if you limit pumps and you put "heat" in the motor and damage parts. Pumps are used to cool and flow fuel to control detonation whitout it. A good T/F pump flos above 80 gpm
They actually flow above250 GPM now.... A nitro engine lives on fuel. If you decrease the amount of fuel that can actually enter the engine, you will decrease it's performance potential. If you ran just one of these pumps (instead of two) you would still be able to run 4.70's to .80's at over 300, still faster than anything else on the planet!

Plus, if you remove a mag, you don't have the energy to create the heat to cause detonation. Sure you still have the enormous potential of ntro, but it would be scaled down.

But I guess that's why we're not in Denver!! :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bob Vandergriff and Tony Pedregon made the statements Don Prudhomme needed to keep his mouth shut or he was going to be "drinking thru a straw for the next couple months" in an interveiw.
I laughed untill I fell over :p:p

Thats the second interview about scotts crash that prudhomme sounded like an uncaring, arrogant, prick.
The first one in print was bad enough about "geez I never thought anyboby would be able to hit that pole".
Tonight on espn, "kalitta died, I hope we dont over react".
I hope he talks like that to connie like that, I know how he will react :axe:.

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
I dont get it...

A freak accident happens where a car hits a pole and then a camera boom...so everyone wants to slow the cars down now?

Why not make so that you cant hit a pole or a camera boom at 250mph by moving those items AWAY from the track?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I dont get it...

A freak accident happens where a car hits a pole and then a camera boom...so everyone wants to slow the cars down now?

Why not make so that you cant hit a pole or a camera boom at 250mph by moving those items AWAY from the track?
I agree with you Jeremy. Jeggie was on our local radio talk show in Columbus before Norwalk, and Kalitta was brought up. He basically said it was tragic and he felt for his family and all the racers that cared about Scott, but this is drag racing, and if you didn't think everytime you strapped in your car you have the chance to die, you've got blinders on. It doesn't matter how fast the car is, this is a dangerous sport.

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
I agree with you Jeremy. Jeggie was on our local radio talk show in Columbus before Norwalk, and Kalitta was brought up. He basically said it was tragic and he felt for his family and all the racers that cared about Scott, but this is drag racing, and if you didn't think everytime you strapped in your car you have the chance to die, you've got blinders on. It doesn't matter how fast the car is, this is a dangerous sport.
BINGO! And i bet connie kalitta realizes that just as much as anyone. If he felt differently, i highly doubt hed have been at the next event sending cars down the track at 300 mph!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.