Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Most think that they should lower te comp by (1) full point and limit the blover overdrive . Then the crew/tuners wouldn't be able to overcome the limitation

It's not un-common on our crew to take comp out of our combo if we have a really soft track and actually go faster in some stuations. We either change a head gasket ane we also have another rod/piston combo fit to that sleave

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
The easiest way to slow them down would be to rextrict blower OD, and limit to one Mag and one fuel pump. The really good way would be to have a spec pump and mag that would be given to the racers at the race, like CART used to so with their wastegates to limit boost. But that would involve a competent and well-staffed tech department.......
If you look back in post I also say limit pump/magneto it just makes sence to me, it's what it takes to go fast.

But your fuel crew will argu, if you limit pumps and you put "heat" in the motor and damage parts. Pumps are used to cool and flow fuel to control detonation whitout it. A good T/F pump flos above 80 gpm

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
I dont get it...

A freak accident happens where a car hits a pole and then a camera boom...so everyone wants to slow the cars down now?

Why not make so that you cant hit a pole or a camera boom at 250mph by moving those items AWAY from the track?
Jeremy - I agree that is really what it comes down to. The car is not designed to "impact" if it had the chance to roll/tumble the outcome would probably been very diff regardless of the speed

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Just a thought here. I am old enough to remember when the jet and rocket cars were killing a bunch of guys. A speed limit was imposed. Instead of giving the crew chiefs an obstacle to overcome like taking away fuel,compression boost etc. Set a speed limit at 300 m.p.h. Break the speed limit...You lose. Simple as that! Then crew chiefs will use all that brain power in the desired direction??
I'm old too, but I don't remember the rocket cars being that fast or them losing drivers and having speed controling incidents. They have never acheived what FC and TF cars have.

I think you may be getting confused with the rocket powered G-Karts that were popular in the 60-70's that I think there were 6 or more drivers killed.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Check this out....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ance/features_classic_cars/rocket_men_feature

"Without the rigor of NHRA safety certification, jet cars continued to toast competitors in spectacular ways. The most notorious jet-car accident came in October 1971 near Dallas when Art Arfons -- giving a local newscaster a ride in the Super Cyclops -- lost control at 285 mph, killing his passenger and two track workers. Art retired from driving jet cars after the incident."

"And most onerous of all for the drivers, the NHRA imposes a speed limit currently 320.99 mph (the number has crept up from 260 mph when Gustin was first licensed).

"The NHRA wants to protect the drawing power of the Top Fuel cars and keep jet cars from overshadowing them," says Roslansky. "And you can't blame them. That is where the money is." "

Turn them loose and I bet there aint a T/FD in the country that could beat them with current jet technology.
That kind of proves my point, I don't ever remember "jet cars" having an rash of death's that was such a problem they needed to be limited. But I can beleive That NHRA put a limitation on their performance not to steal the show.

Jet cars - are just fucking plain "boring" they work well at the saltflats and they have an entertainment value there. Other than entertainment at an NHRA level they just don't have a place. imo

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
"Without the rigor of NHRA safety certification, jet cars continued to toast competitors in spectacular ways."

Now I havent really researched it that much but that line makes me believe there were quite a few guys that got burnt up pretty bad. Not sure, I wasnt around back then. How big of news would it have been if a guy got burnt up in a jet car?
I remember when they came in pretty heavy but I just don't remember the dangers that they make claime to.

I am a good friend of "Broadway Bob's" and he was into the Jet cars entertainment. He was also a big "supporter" of the "jet go-karts" in the early days and several were killed at his track. Ther were actually a club and used is track regualy and at his wifes diagreement. He has a great histiry with jet's it is entertaining to hear his stories.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.