Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored a really good deal on some 14 degree big chiefs yesterday, i`m building a low deck 565 and was wondering how well these would work for heavy nitrous use? mainly should I stick with em or go for something else like a BMF 385 or the Dart 410

the owner said they were ported but he didnt know by who so i`m guessing its what came standard from dart as far as porting is concerned.

·
Registered
415 Posts
That's what I use... A similar version from Sonny's, only mine are about 15 years old...
Your tuning window will be alot smaller, but great power!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I run a set also and I love them. Like was said tuning window is smaller but the power is awesome. Lots of guys running them with nitrous. Mine are ported and setup by HRD racing heads and they have the cnc program in them that raises the port location from the standard location. Al Dickson is top notch and he knows the power potential of these heads.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
need to search the no2 forum for chamber softening info, it will make them less timing sensitive.....

·
Registered
918 Posts
Like it was said, Check into softening the chambers and it becomes much better. I changed my head gasket on my motor from a .063 to an .073 and it made a huge difference as to how aggressive I get with the timing.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I have rfd 14* with softened chambers.Haven't sprayed them yet but made great hp n\a with a nitrous cam.Soften the chamber and go.You will be happy.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
big chiefs will make more hp than a conventional design, go with them, but do the pre-work to make them really shine....

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
14* heads are a little aggressive with the burn rate in the chamber. That is why the heads on most of the big nitrous motors are between 16*-18*. That does not mean that the 14* head will not work, just needs a little TLC in the chamber. As Casey and others have said, softening the chamber, will make the tuning window much larger. We have 14* CFE heads on Henderson's drag radial car and after having Charlie Buck do a little chamber work, the heads went from very touchy on timing, to very forgiving. Made a 5* difference in our stuff.

Monte

1 - 14 of 14 Posts