Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo my name is Andre, I’m from Germany. Sorry for this really bad english. Okay I bought a Big Brute in 2016. Here in Germany it is very difficult to get informations about this bike. So I hope I can get a help from you.

How long were they built and how much? And Where do I get spare parts?

Kind regards

Andre

·
Registered
319 Posts
Andre sent me the pics & when I try to post them there is no way to do it. Tried to contact YB help & I get access denied. Whats going on here ? Thx

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hello Andre,
That bike is the brainchild of Vic Richards. It's been almost 15 years since I was there at his place. He had a couple, maybe three of the bike's there then.
He owned/owns the building, and rents the front half out and has a pretty big machine /transmission shop in the back half of the building.
The front of the building wasn't a long standing motorcycle shop that I remember, but you would have to ask him. And as far as I knew, The bikes, the transmission parts, the lock-up torque converters ... everything had the "Big Brute" moniker tied to it...

API / Big Brute ... tell him Tubie said ... hello ehh ;)

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/api-racing-transmissions-and-torque-converters-mississauga

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Disregard .... or TRY your LUCK .. I had forgotten about Coops 20+ pages :rolleyes:

I will take the other side of the coin for a moment .
15 years ago he was ahead of his time . Much of what has now become standard issue in a high HP glide , came from him .
I still own two D-Bear case glides with :
1.062 input shafts with 21 spline's on each end , 12 dp gear sets a 1.74 and a 1.80 , 10 plate high gear clutch packs using Ford 5 inch frictions , Chrysler 2.250 wide low gear bands and filter .
I also own two 9 inch as well as one 10 inch lock up converters .
There is nothing like a powerglide going into "third" gear ...
Over the years , I broke a few gear sets . One was in an aluminum case . It's hard to say if the pin holes wollowed out and broke the gears , or if the gears broke and took out the case , but I elected to not use an aluminum one again . He was never cheap , nor took responsibility , but then thats racing .
A couple few years ago , I broke a gear set while I was at a race in Michigan . The parts in his transmissions are for the most part are not interchangable with what vendors carry on the midway , so I rode to his place in Canada and bought what I needed and stocked up on some hard parts while I was there .
I also paid him for a an input shaft that was 21 spline on the converter side (with lock-up) and std 19 spline powerglide on the other . He really did not want to make it for me . He said it would break , he also knew that If I had the ability to use a more readily available gear set i would . It did take him about six months to get it to me , but by then I already knew his better days were behind him . Yet still he did keep his word and sent me the input . I hate to read this and think he can no longer do so .
It's true he came close to losing his building . He showed me some really nice machines that were left just sitting and being on the verge of being taken by the bank . He showed me job orders , he had no money left to buy material's , nor to pay workers to run the machines .
He has two sons that could be capable of running the buisness . At the time one worked there part time and the other worked anound the corner building custom bikes . From what he told me about a year ago when I tried to get a new front cover for one of my converters ,that neither boy (men now ) worked there and he has pretty much just become a small auto repair facility and had gotten rid of much of what was left over on the other side of the shop .
I know he has taken down alot of people with him as he fell , but I have to say I am forever greatful for what he taught me about racing automatics .
Coop , I dont know for sure , but I doubt he has enough parts to build you a transmission , or the money to pay you back ... in any event , Good Luck Brother .

Charlie....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts