Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1983 Winnebago buried in weeds in a closed down rock quarry. Must drive out.
454 and suspected turbo 400 with 83,xxx miles
$500 if I can get it running and driving in one day for the whole vehicle. Will need carb rebuilt, temporary fuel system, oil, water, exc. exc. and the inches of mouse shit cleaned off the seat.
Biggest issue is I would have to drive it 6 miles through a city with expired Michigan "in transit/repair" plates, no insurance, no title to get it to the nearest place I can pull the motor/trans and cut it up into small enough pieces to scrap with no title.
Its not stolen though at least.

Im thinking its not worth the hassle...

New pup Kloee seems to think we should hop in the truck and go for it.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,523 Posts
Sounds like stuff memories are made of, you'll be laughing about 'that day' for years to come, go for it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Do it!

Worst that could happen is that it's more job than you'd initially thought.
Other than that, you'll fix it and you'll drive that fucker home.
Do it, nobody remembers a coward!

·
Registered
28,568 Posts
That old engine will be wore out. The problem with rv's is going to be trying to get rid of the shit after you pull the engine and trans. The scrapyards around me won't touch a RV unless it's gutted out. Unless you have more time than money I say skip it.

:supz: The puppy :supz:

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Are you buying it to resale motor/trans? 454's used to go for 500 years ago. Not anymore. I'd say around 300. Most people are not using factory parts anymore. You'll have to sit on it awhile until you get rid of it. T400 core about a 100. So I'd say hell no.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
doing it,

will give you the insight,
when you are older,....

.to tell the next guy,

that asks a similar question ,...

to not do foolish things,

...that you once did...

lol..lol...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The "no title" part meaning you can't just scrap the thing makes it not worth it. He might have to pay to make that thing go away. If it were mine I'd sell the motor/trans on craigslist plus whatever other odds and ends were worth anything, then torch the rest of it. There's hardly anything metal north of the frame rails. When it cooled off id sawzall the frame in half and call a scrap guy.

·
Registered
920 Posts
if you have an old truck cab that you wanted to make a hauler out of, then you'd have a chassis to set it on. The aluminum body would be worth a couple hundred once cut off the shell. harbor freight sells the shears for cheap and you can cut it off in small enough sections to drop in the bed of a pick up. see if anyone you know could tow it 6 miles instead of getting it running on site and worrying about a brake failure in town in an old rv and the bs that goes with it. of course take pics and share the story. sounds like an episode of road kill lol.

·
Registered
14,044 Posts
Find a local guy with a 8n and tow it out. $250. max. Scrap it yourself. It may have a generator that will bring you $500. or more.

If you have the space, do it.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
and the investment in the chain saw or demo saw is 500 plus

and the sawzall new is about 200 ..plus the aftermentioned blades..

so, what is the point...??

.......DO YOU have some WISDOM...????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts