Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in running some all motor classes & am trying to figure out which would be better. My criteria are $$$ to Hp which is cheaper, more reliable & going to work good in a Fox body mustang.
OR should I jst go with a power adder & some other class? My car is Certifiable for 7.50.

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
For longevity (sp?) I would say BBC.

A local guy here in town bought a crate 555 or 565 from Reher-Morrison and put either 200 or 400 runs on it before refreshing it...pretty amazing as its in an S10 that runs 5.20's.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well if you wanta stay w/Ford power.... I'd opt for a SB. You say all motor classes?? What are these classes running for et/mph what are the rules as in limitations for engine. Is is a weight/cid?
Can you use yates heads, or limited to inline wedge? 4500 or 4150 carb? If the car w/you in it weights at or under 3000lbs. 950HP will get you into the mid 8s. This is high rpms, and probably a higher maintenance piece.

Big block Ford, well over 500cid and a good induction system will get you 1000+ HP. And will get the car to run that much faster....

My opinion....I like the SB NA stuff. But its not my wallet! ;)

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always been a small block fan but the big blocks make so much more power so easily & for less or close to what it would cost to build a small block with less power. 632" cubes is the limit, min. weight is 2600lbs. There is no rule on carbs, no sheetmetal intakes...heads i will have to recheck. I know ther is rules about the bbf heads. However I would like to build something that could run mid to low 8's.

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
As long as your car is around 2600 or so lbs, you'd need around 1,000 HP to get into the low 8's. Much easier to do it w/ a BB than a SB N/A anyway...boosted either one could make it but then theres more of that $$$ lol.

Im in the same boat....we're tryin to run a local top sportsman class that the bump to get in is usually a 5.3X or so and we're weighing around 2600...thats how I already know about the 1,000-ish HP for the weight....damn we need a bigger motor, lol.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
If cost is a factor I'd vote big block, probably Chevy if you don't mind it in a Mustang. The reason I say that is if you go to any NHRA or IHRA national or divisional event, 80+% of the cars in Top Sportsman, Top Dragster and the Super classes are running 500-600 c.i. BBC. The sheer availability of engines and parts, new and used, is unmatched by anything else in drag racing. You can pick up a 540-565 BBC from a dozen different builders, or buy a used one from a Sportsman racer.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been looking BBC...but my blood is blue & it's still hard to make that change.
I have a friend running top Sportsman with a Koffel engine & 2 stages of N2O. 2 yrs ago motor was enough, now the bump is around 7.25's 1/4 mile.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Blue will cost you a lot more $$$

·
Registered
153 Posts
it doesnt matter if its a ford or a chevy, once you get up into real race engines the price is the same. for a basic motor, yes chevy parts are cheaper but for that matter fords make more power lol. id go with a bbf if money were a concern to me, you can easily drop a 460 in a fox and go 7's if you need to. remember a motor is a motor, it doesnt know its a ford or a chevy so a 500 ci ford is just as good as a 500 ci chevy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can drop a 4.5 crank into a stock tall deck bbc...I got it..
How easy is it to even find a stock tall deck BBC block? How much clearancing did you have to do? 429-460 blocks are easy to get & a 4.5" crank will fall right in. You can bore stock BBF's .080 for a 557 & if you sonic test & get a thick block you can bore out to a 4.5" bore for a 572. Now let's see you make 550 + cubic inches with a stock Chevy block. BBC's have aftermarket blocks with raised cam locations & increased bore spacing. The BBF has that stock. I could go on & on... Check this link out
http://www.highflowdynamics.com/ & click on advantages of BBF over BBC. It is an interesting read. Now all you Chevy lovers don't get your panties in a wad when you read this. It's just the truth & I know the truth hurts sometimes. So take a deep breath before reading & everything will be all right. Your perception that the almighty Chevy is perfect & the rest are pieces of shit is about to be disproved. :p :p

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I have been looking BBC...but my blood is blue & it's still hard to make that change.

better ask youself it you'll ever be happy with a chevy.... do what's best for your soul......smile

They'll all expensive.... just a matter of getting the right guy to build you that blue oval..thinking that Uratchko guy might know a thing or two about them....

good luck

mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
better ask youself it you'll ever be happy with a chevy.... do what's best for your soul......smile

They'll all expensive.... just a matter of getting the right guy to build you that blue oval..thinking that Uratchko guy might know a thing or two about them....

good luck

mike
Mike, you 100% correct. When you build a high end engine, it doesn't matter if its Chevy,Ford, or Mopar. You pretty much don't use any factory parts. I just figured I would try to stir the Chevy boys up some. I showed a couple of my chevy friends that write up on comparing a BBF to a BBC & man did they get defensive!! It was hillarious!!! :) But a BBF is the easiest engine to build a big stroker motor when dealing with stock deck heights,bore spacing, cam heights,etc.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
How easy is it to even find a stock tall deck BBC block? How much clearancing did you have to do? 429-460 blocks are easy to get & a 4.5" crank will fall right in. You can bore stock BBF's .080 for a 557 & if you sonic test & get a thick block you can bore out to a 4.5" bore for a 572. Now let's see you make 550 + cubic inches with a stock Chevy block. BBC's have aftermarket blocks with raised cam locations & increased bore spacing. The BBF has that stock. I could go on & on... Check this link out
http://www.highflowdynamics.com/ & click on advantages of BBF over BBC. It is an interesting read. Now all you Chevy lovers don't get your panties in a wad when you read this. It's just the truth & I know the truth hurts sometimes. So take a deep breath before reading & everything will be all right. Your perception that the almighty Chevy is perfect & the rest are pieces of shit is about to be disproved. :p :p

these advantages would be ok if you were comparing stock block to stock block,i will give you that. but i todays world its so easy to build hp with modern induction thats available those advantages really dont add up to much because really who uses stock blocks??? stock blocks hp capabilities of a ford are about the same as a sbc. right around 900 hp. bbc will handle alot more than that.chevy will be always on top for most people that are on a budget due to the fact everyone can find a shit load of hardcore race blocks and heads that are slightly used and save big bucks, i seen a local guy buy everything used and i mean everything for a 632 with 18 degree heads and he spent right at 9,000.00. on the dyno it had 1167 hp try that with a ford. i have had bbfs and i know the evens,al moody etc and many others that can make them run :cool:.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.