Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am helping my cousin assemble a 400 mopar that we are building into a 500" stroker motor.

We already have the eagle kit with the 4340 crank and H beams,mahle pistons.The block has already been bored and decked for 0 deck height.We are using closed chamber heads.I believe the 906 castings.They have hardened seats and a 3 angle valve job.I believe we will be around 12:1 compression.We have clearanced the block and last week cleaned the block real well and installed new cam bearings.This week were going to install the crankshaft and start file fitting the rings and getting the pistons and rods ready to go in.

We were discussing cam options and he had to go with a solid roller setup.So today I ordered http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k23-703-9

I called comp about the choice and they seemed to agree it was a decent choice.One of these main reasons I choose this cam was the fact that the stock heads probably don't flow well at lifts much higher than this.I am not a mopar guy and the heads have never been flowed so I'm not sure.Also with the stock valves not being long enough to handle that much lift without running into coil bind issue's.

Trust me I know this engine needs a better set of heads.And when the money allows for it.It will happen.My cousin is in his earlier 20's and his grandpa has been helping him out.Lending him money and my cousin pays him back.

This motor is going into an 80's dodge 4wd truck with a 4 speed behind it.Used for truck pulls and off roading.

What I am needing to know is what would be a good rocker setup to go with.Also on my solid roller small block I am running a cam button and oil feed restrictors in the rear oil galleys.I am assuming I am going to have to do the same thing with this motor.

I'd just like to hear from some guys who have setup a solid roller big block dodge and what they used.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I am helping my cousin assemble a 400 mopar that we are building into a 500" stroker motor.

We already have the eagle kit with the 4340 crank and H beams,mahle pistons.The block has already been bored and decked for 0 deck height.We are using closed chamber heads.I believe the 906 castings.They have hardened seats and a 3 angle valve job.I believe we will be around 12:1 compression.We have clearanced the block and last week cleaned the block real well and installed new cam bearings.This week were going to install the crankshaft and start file fitting the rings and getting the pistons and rods ready to go in.

We were discussing cam options and he had to go with a solid roller setup.So today I ordered http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k23-703-9

I called comp about the choice and they seemed to agree it was a decent choice.One of these main reasons I choose this cam was the fact that the stock heads probably don't flow well at lifts much higher than this.I am not a mopar guy and the heads have never been flowed so I'm not sure.Also with the stock valves not being long enough to handle that much lift without running into coil bind issue's.

Trust me I know this engine needs a better set of heads.And when the money allows for it.It will happen.My cousin is in his earlier 20's and his grandpa has been helping him out.Lending him money and my cousin pays him back.

This motor is going into an 80's dodge 4wd truck with a 4 speed behind it.Used for truck pulls and off roading.

What I am needing to know is what would be a good rocker setup to go with.Also on my solid roller small block I am running a cam button and oil feed restrictors in the rear oil galleys.I am assuming I am going to have to do the same thing with this motor.

I'd just like to hear from some guys who have setup a solid roller big block dodge and what they used.

Thanks
If those are closed chambered heads, they'll be a 915 or 158 instead of a 906. You'll need somewhere near 78-76cc to get 12:1 CR with that combo and a 906 won't get you there. You can't put restrictors in the rear oil galleys as they oil the mains. The 829-16's should be fine on that cam. Just make sure the lifter bores are tight. Crane golds would be a decent choice if he's on a budget and would work fine with that cam.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They are the 915 casting closed chambered.The machinist has had the heads since april and I forgot exactly what they were.The machinist is good.SLOW but good.

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
If those heads aren't ported they are a VERY bad choise for that engine. Hell they weren't a good choise even at 440 inches unless ported.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts