Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a chance to get a BBF 557 71' dove block 4 bolt main 14:1 in a trade. Dont know really anything about them can someone enlighten me that does!! Give me the low down! Thx much app.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Have a chance to get a BBF 557 71' dove block 4 bolt main 14:1 in a trade. Dont know really anything about them can someone enlighten me that does!! Give me the low down! Thx much app.
Pretty typical build for a factory ford dove block, that would be a 4.440 bore X 4.500 crank. They factory blocks hold these Ci pretty safely.

At 4.440 bore (.080) they usualy dont have a problem but at 4.500 bore they usuall sonic test the block for wall thickness.

In the 460 ford blocks the 4.500 crank falls right in without any clearance issues.

The only down side is many say it isn't an issue but at 4.500 it pulls the piston out of the bottom of bore a good deal. Weather it is a longjevity issue I think depends on who you talk too.

Some builders claim it sideloads the piston and don't go over the 4.440 bore and 4.150 (514 ci) stroke for increased dependabilty on the factory blocks.

You might ask about the crank for along time forged cranks were not available in the 4.150, 4.300 and 4.500 and were cast steel. These days the cranks are alot more available in forged then in past.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Pretty typical build for a factory ford dove block, that would be a 4.440 bore X 4.500 crank. They factory blocks hold these Ci pretty safely.

At 4.440 bore (.080) they usualy dont have a problem but at 4.500 bore they usuall sonic test the block for wall thickness.

In the 460 ford blocks the 4.500 crank falls right in without any clearance issues.

The only down side is many say it isn't an issue but at 4.500 it pulls the piston out of the bottom of bore a good deal. Weather it is a longjevity issue I think depends on who you talk too.

Some builders claim it sideloads the piston and don't go over the 4.440 bore and 4.150 (514 ci) stroke for increased dependabilty on the factory blocks.

You might ask about the crank for along time forged cranks were not available in the 4.150, 4.300 and 4.500 and were cast steel. These days the cranks are alot more available in forged then in past.

Hope it helps
I thought you were a chevy guy:-D

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
As mentioned, ask what crank is in it? If your spinning it, Id say you'd want a good billet crank. Also does the block have the splayed 4-bolt caps or just 4 straight bolts? Splayed would be ideal, but 4-bolts are definitely better than 2! :)

Kyle

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
As mentioned, ask what crank is in it? If your spinning it, Id say you'd want a good billet crank. Also does the block have the splayed 4-bolt caps or just 4 straight bolts? Splayed would be ideal, but 4-bolts are definitely better than 2! :)

Kyle
Depends on hp level your dealing with the ford cranks are meaty. forged cranks are easily enough for 900-1000 hp and upwards of 1500 from what I have seen for most builds. Billet for anything with street stip or bracket use would be an overkill in exspense imo.

·
ALL MOTOR BITCHES !
2,456 Posts
Main problem with the stock blocks is bore size no more than .080... and oiling. This what I run.
Cast iron block with 4-bolt main caps on journals 2, 3, and 4
• Nodular iron main caps
• Can be bored/stroked to produce 598 cu. in.
• Siamese cylinder bores
• Bore range from 4.360-4.600"
• Wet sump oiling design
• 3.000" main journal diameter
• Weighs approximately 290 lbs.
• High-strength block for professional competition
Part # M-6010-A460
I run the E 460 heads with a sheet metal and 2 Gary Willams carbs. The block is now 5 years old and it looks as good as the day we put it together.BTW it's going on the dyno next week.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
The DOVE block it the one that has the thickest main webs and considered the strongest. It was made in 1970 only. They came in 2 a 4 bolt. The factory 4 bolt was a SCJ block and they are worth quite a bit of money. The 2 bolt is what I prefer because it can be converted to a splayed 4 bolt block. For a drag motor I wouldn't worry about longevity. BBF can take up to a 4.75 in stroke crank with out any grinding but I wouldn't recommend anything over 4.5. Some people like to use the D9 (86-97) blocks for the 4.5 stroke cranks because those blocks have a longer cylinder than all the other BBF's by .250 . However, they don't have the thick main webs. Regardless, the blocks can take a ton of power and there have been a few that have made around 1700 with turbos. Just like any other motor, some will take a ton of power and some won't. IMO it is the attention to detail from the machinist and the builder which allows for big power out of any motor. On these, once you start getting close to 1000, you need to go to a forged crank. The cast cranks flex too much and you start getting cap walk pretty bad. Definitely on a nitrous motor, probably not so much on a turbo motor though.:) If you would like to see a ton of info on the BBF go to highflowdynamics.com and click on the link that says advantages of ford over chevy. It just talks about the engineering differences in the two big blocks.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Would depend on the heads and intake.

I helped a friend of mine put one in his 88 coupe, nothing special, 12.5:1's H-beam rods, cast steel crank, mid 700's Comp Cams roller, Steel DOVE heads well ported with 2.25/1.88 Manley valves, K-Motion springs, Victor intake and a worked 850 dp. At 3100# car went 9.6's. I am building one for mine now, and took some wieght off of mine I have it down to 2500# with alot of glass, looking to go into the high 8's. Both cars have glides in them.

I am looking at the Trick Flow intake over the Victor, then maybe a better set of heads, but all in all should be more than enough to run some 8.7's in my heap.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
They're a great platform from the factory.

10.32" deck height

4.900 bore spacing

raised cam tunnel

a 4.500" stroke crank clears without notching

will accomondate 4.750 stroke crank with notching

factory C8VE, C9VE, D0VE, D2OE-AB and DOOE-R iron heads works. The D00E-R heads can flow over 380 cfm fully ported. My self ported D0VE irons flow 355 cfm on the intake!

You can find them very easily and the distributor is in the right place. lol :p

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
just bought 2 of them.....needed boat anchor's.
I knew someone would say it, because I thought it. lol.
I actually would love to own a 69 Torino with a bbf. Love the fastback Torinos. Didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but doesn't Kaase make a Boss 429 head to use with the FE motor? Forgive my lack of Ford knowledge.

·
"Less talk, more thought"
2,134 Posts
People buy them so they can win races. Can't do that shit with a chebbie. :p

FORD POWER BABY!

DAMN STRAIGHT!!
Chevy guys WISH they could have the valve angle of a Ford!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts