Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never been a big MSD fan what's everyone's choices? Been looking at petronix. Have been running locked out HEI last few I've done.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There isn't a one size fits all choice. Some questions to narrow it down:

1. What RPM will you be running?
2. Any forced induction? If so, how much boost / nitrous?
3. Carb or EFI? If it's EFI, what engine management?
4. What sort of fuel?
5. Any sorts of extra features like a two step, traction control, etc?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HWI is what I usually go with will probably do that again didn't know if anyone had tried the petronix distributor ignitor 3.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
On my Olds stock eliminator I installed a Pertronix in a aftermarket HEI distributor and so far it runs flawlessly. Starts instantly, rpm's to 6900 in the traps and does't miss a lick.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Never been a big MSD fan what's everyone's choices? Been looking at petronix. Have been running locked out HEI last few I've done.
Ran an HEI until this month and added an MSD billet distributor to the new 7AL2 I got, the spark is much better then that old HEI was. With the ST-125 you can see a spark that will just smack the outer shell along with the multi spark showing. Maybe my HEI pickup coil was just getting old. If you decide to use a Pertronix make sure you use their coil as they don't work very good without it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I like the Crane Hi-6... I think FAST took them over now.
True CDI, read the timing at idle if you want.
Run it with a GM HEI didtributor as a trigger, used without the module.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I have MSD setup on my new 496 in my 57- have yet to beat on it real hard yet still breaking in the new engine. However always had very good results with MSD ignition . When I purchased the car it had a 396 with HEI and It ran decent.

Steve

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I like the Crane Hi-6... I think FAST took them over now.
True CDI, read the timing at idle if you want.
Run it with a GM HEI didtributor as a trigger, used without the module.
I'd probably go with the Crane box as well if I didn't want MSD for that build. CDIs deliver better spark energy at high RPM; at 6,500, a HEI or Pertronix Ignitor is going to have its energy fall off as the dwell time drops.

·
Former RJ instigator
40,544 Posts
I used to run Mallory's comp 9000 distributors exclusively and never had any issues with them, you do have to run the ballast though, and always unplug the distributor whenever you weld on the car or you'll fry the pick up/module.

Another good option would be the DUI ( Davis Unified ignition ) HEI.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Been running the same 6al since 93. Just paired with a crank trigger and HVC2 coil now,still runs to 8k no hiccups and high 8 low 9 ets

1 - 20 of 23 Posts