Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I enjoy reading all the builds that the engine builders on here post and learn something from all of them. I build on average 30 small and big blocks each year and all of you have helped me learn a lot along the way. it seems as if some here think 1.6 or so hp per cubic inch is childs play and maybe
is to the professionals on here. some one like me would be tickled to death with a that.
what in your opinion is the horsepower limit for a real street car. something that is driven everyday. something that might even be your only daily driver.
what would be the most horsepower you would expect to make and still be reliable enough to drive anywhere everyday. N/A big block no power adder

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don’t know about daily driving, but I drive mine around 4,000 - 5,000 miles a year. It is 580ci nitrous engine, but NA is makes a solid 1,100hp. It cruises fine on premium pump gas pulling a trailer. It has some nice pieces to do that, especially valve-train wise. if we did not spray so much nitrous, I think NA we could make a fair bit more.

Blessed to have Scott Foxwell do the original build. He is a ‘high attention to detail’ builder that gave us an awesome piece to work with.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don’t know about daily driving, but I drive mine around 4,000 - 5,000 miles a year. It is 580ci nitrous engine, but NA is makes a solid 1,100hp. It cruises fine on premium pump gas pulling a trailer. It has some nice pieces to do that, especially valve-train wise. if we did not spray so much nitrous, I think NA we could make a fair bit more.

Blessed to have Scott Foxwell do the original build. He is a ‘high attention to detail’ builder that gave us an awesome piece to work with.
Can you share some build details?

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
MMWWILSON, If you check the the thread, I DIDN'T say it was child play or brush it off as such. I said "IS PRETTY BASIC"! Sorry you took offense to that. Basic in the fact that just a nice solid foundation with the correct induction, will get you 1.6Hp/inch.

I only do a few engines per year, and a couple have worked out quite well. Here is a thread about a couple I did in January:

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2561871

Now part of the reason I'm bring this up is although my motor in that thread DIDN'T DO 1.6, It was mostly parts from GM from 50 yrs ago. I AM updating this to what I said in the thread to the al heads and SR cam. I'm quite sure it will do 1.6Hp/inch and is meant for a daily driver style stuff with OD trans, PW, cruise control and AC in the future, and was designed as such. This car will be daily driven to and from work as be the main source of transportation.

Now my pumgas 475 I did a couple years ago did 1.65Hp/inch. And we think that's because we reached the limits of MY factory alum GM 052 block. That motor did 1.65Hp/inch with GM alum block, PORTED Gm "074" heads and PORTED GM "198" dual plane intake. So YES that took some work and a while to get done. But for sure the motor could have made nice gains by doing aftermarket heads and single plane intake. Then changing the cam for such.

Now for you last questions, BBC most power, drive anywhere???? I would think with 4.84 B/S based block, and the right attention to the whole combo, probably 1100Hp range give or take. 632/655 SR20 heads or even good conventional heads (Brodix HH Profilier Sniper etc) I think it be done. There are shop out there that advertise some pretty nice and much more power than that on there pump gas deals.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I enjoy reading all the builds that the engine builders on here post and learn something from all of them. I build on average 30 small and big blocks each year and all of you have helped me learn a lot along the way. it seems as if some here think 1.6 or so hp per cubic inch is childs play and maybe
is to the professionals on here. some one like me would be tickled to death with a that.
what in your opinion is the horsepower limit for a real street car. something that is driven everyday. something that might even be your only daily driver.
what would be the most horsepower you would expect to make and still be reliable enough to drive anywhere everyday. N/A big block no power adder
Trying to pick a limit on something like HP is a really difficult answer. It really depends on what you're willing to put up with as a "daily driver". I did a 500hp pump gas engine for my Fairlane and honestly, it's on the edge of being "reasonable"...for me. Something like Troy's car with mostly a full tube chassis, street legal race car and 1100+ hp would be considered by some to be outlandish but I'll give it to Troy...he drives the thing in parades, tows trailers with it, does Drag Week and races it. That, to me, is the extreme edge of "street car".
Engine reliability and longevity obviously goes down as power goes up, as does cost, and maintenance on just about everything. You have to build the car to handle the power and as that goes, so does comfort and drivability. It's all a series of compromises and really, just up to the individual as to what they want to spend and what they're willing to put up with. I have another customer in Maryland who has a 71 Chevelle that we built a 565 for. Compression engine, 1K hp, car is 100% all steel full interior except for the glass hood, fully street legal, weighs 4000#, has a full 8.5 cert cage, all good factory type suspension parts and runs 9.50's driven to the track. He drives the thing mostly on the street and only gets it to the track occasionally. I've spent a couple weekends with Eric and his family and I tell ya, that thing is a raucous handfull but it's what Eric loves. The engine was dyno'd late 2013 and the car was finished spring, 2014. Eric is extremely meticulous and thorough with his maintenance and care of the car and it shows.,..still going strong after almost 6 yrs and thousands of miles. We have several other customers that we've done 800-850hp pump gas big blocks for and you saw the 557 I just finished. Those are just some examples I can think of. Done some blower street motors as well...that's a whole 'nother crowd... :)
JMO

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Can you share some build details?
It's a pretty good list of parts and work...but basically;
Brodix alum tall deck block, 4.59 bore
4.375 billet crank, 6.700 BME rod, CP pistons, .250 wall DLC pins, TS rings.
Brodix SR20 heads with my ports and chambers, 2.45 valve, softened, T&D steel rockers, 1/2" Smith Brothers pushrods, Morel .936 keyway lifters, Straub 55mm cam.
Intake is ported SV632, carb is AED, pan is Stef's, billet Melling pump, Jesel belt drive, Star vac pump.
We put oversize liners in the block and reduced bore for some cyl wall stability. Block has a little additional deck height for some added piston strength for the spray. The engine was built to eat nitrous like a fat kid eating jelly beans but still makes 1100 n/a.
I built the initial engine, did all the induction, etc and the engine is in good hands for repairs and maintenance/upgrades at Chris Nowak, Nowak Racing. This was a special project for me and I am very grateful and feel really fortunate to get the opportunity to build something like this and work with a guy like Troy and call him a friend, as well. 100% first class operation and good Christian man. :smt023

·
Mike
7,310 Posts
I will put some miles on my Mike Lewis short deck 572 (900+) when/if it ever gets out of body shop prison. It will do all of the fun things cruising, pull it's own trailer to the track. I don't think of it as a DD though,but it could be. Another Mike Lewis 540 750 hp is a DD in Vegas, Rowdy's 66 Chevelle takes the kids to school, and drives to work with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I certainly didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. sorry if that's what happened. I am only trying to learn from you guys. thanks to all who replied.
I am trying to sort out what I am going to build next. so far I have built several 496s. probably my favorite builds seem easy to make power with. my best so far was a 10.5 compression 496 with untouched 310 canfield heads and a cam that I picked after I searched every thread that Chris Straub ever wrote. in a 3500 nova went 5.30 with 250 shot of nitrous.
just did a 588 that went 6.19 on motor in same nova with tight nitrous convertor. cant wait till he sprays that one.
I want to build something next that can and will be my daily driver but still excite me everytime i drive it. only parameters are bbc no more than a 3.55 gear with somewhere around a 3500 convertor. not concerned about mileage. i have a 580 in my 69 Chevelle with a solid roller with 270 duration and that's abit more than something i want to drive everyday. what i have to start with is a 4.5 bore short deck block, a 454 4 bolt block or a tall deck 427 block. also a new molnar 4.25 crank.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
have a 580 in my 69 Chevelle with a solid roller with 270 duration and that's abit more than something i want to drive everyday. what i have to start with is a 4.5 bore short deck block, a 454 4 bolt block or a tall deck 427 block. also a new molnar 4.25 crank.
I got a 267 lobe on a 112 lsa in my 555 built for boost and it drives incredibly well but its EFI lol. I wouldnt be scared of 270 in a 580. Consider efi for a everyday street car

·
Registered
283 Posts
Off track question, are you the same guy from the 2nd gen Camaro forum from 10 or so years ago? If so, you are a great racer. I had a 71 Camaro back then, 434 small block, slapper bars.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I certainly didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. sorry if that's what happened. I am only trying to learn from you guys. thanks to all who replied.
Wilson, it's me that ruffled the feathers with that 1.6Hp/inch comment. I also didn't mean too. There is the reason for that statement. But that's another long story.

So moving forward. USE your 4.5 bore short-deck block and 4.25 crank and work from there. With the parameters of 3500 stall and 3.55 gear, there is plenty you can do and have a nice strong motor when all is said and done.

You mentioned Chris Straub. So get him to go a custom cam once the rest of the pieces are figured out. I would strongly suggest the tight-lash solid roller, or even solid roller on the hyd core for a cam. My personal thoughts aside, Chris will help you out and seems to have a handle on some of his cam ideas for these builds.

You didn't say what heads your planning on using or if you had any yet. You said you do engines, but are you porting the heads, or will you do it? In all honest, if you don't have the heads and YOU yourself do not do the porting? Look at a set of 315 Floteks from Chad Speier. There a really really nice casting from what many have said. Get Chad to work them over some and you will have a better set of heads then a shelf Brodix/AFR. I a set of Floteks coming from him that his price was pretty hard to beat. If you check his site, he get his Floteks BARE and puts his stuff into them and does the valvejob, FOR PRETTY MUCH THE LIST PRICE OF BUYING THE ASSEMBLIES FROM ANYONE ELSE.

Do YOU have a goal in mind??

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have used 4 sets of the flotek heads so far have been very happy with them. No sir I won't port them. I do clean them up here and there but I am no Porter by any means. Am build 2 427s at the moment and will follow your lead. Ones for 55 gasser wants period correct engine. Have l8( slugs and will need a l88 or zl1 cam. Thanks for advice on heads I was leaning towards the 290 heads. The 540 will probably like the 315 better

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I have used 4 sets of the flotek heads so far have been very happy with them. No sir I won't port them. I do clean them up here and there but I am no Porter by any means. Am build 2 427s at the moment and will follow your lead. Ones for 55 gasser wants period correct engine. Have l8( slugs and will need a l88 or zl1 cam. Thanks for advice on heads I was leaning towards the 290 heads. The 540 will probably like the 315 better
The 427's will like the smaller port but I would try to find a small rect port head. The oval ports @ 290cc are moving more air than that low port location likes...they get turbulent and pissy. Just too low to move that much air. You'll also have better intake choices with the rect port heads. The 315's on a 540 will like a 2.30 intake valve upgrade.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Ok now we can talk. Your doing 2 427 BBc's??? So like I did earlier this year:

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2561871

Umm might look at that thread and note post #4

"I'm running the .630/.637 cam that was in the PS motor when I got it. I want to go SR so just getting the car out and running as I might switch to Flotek 290 heads down the road too later this year."

So got the Jones solid roller and Flotek 290's on the way.... Spoke with Chad a few times on the heads. Good way to go for me I think.

As for the Flotek 315's? I believe there a better "casting" then the 320's. The Flotek 315's and Promaxx 317's ARE THE SAME CASTING. Both very nice casting. The 315's might be small on a 5404. BUT get Chad to "work" them and you'll be pleasantly surprised the bang-for-the-buck you would get from a SPEIER prep'ed Flotek on a 540.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
For power and longevity we like combinations with a 4" stroke. Reduced piston speed and depending block you can go to a 475 with a OEM block at .100" over or an aftermarket and 4.600. You get 650 to 850HP on pump gas with the rod stroke ratio of the SBC 350 for years of service.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
The 427's will like the smaller port but I would try to find a small rect port head. The oval ports @ 290cc are moving more air than that low port location likes...they get turbulent and pissy. Just too low to move that much air. You'll also have better intake choices with the rect port heads. The 315's on a 540 will like a 2.30 intake valve upgrade.
Scott, can you explain more on the FLOTEK 290's turbulent please? What lift does this occur and what valve? Factory Vj or proprietary Vj? There is a wider variety of intakes, but many have ran sq port intakes on ovals heads with great results as you know.

There are pump gas oval headed 496's over 800Hp is there not? So what would be the downside of a oval 427 (or 433/438) base motor going oval other then the turbulence that you mentioned in you opinion?

Chad never mentioned any turbulence when I spoke to him and he thought these would be GREAT on a 427? I was buying ANY head that he was supplying for my build to get where I want to be, that being MAXING OUT THE SNIPER EFI SYSTEM.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Talked to Chad on my 290's as there still in Chad's hands. BUT seems the 290 Flotek can and do make some really nice power. This is a DIRECT quote from Chad:

"My guy close to me did some tweaking on a 505 and it made 850 with them."

Now YES I do NOT know the specs or anything on that engine, but these little 290 ovals made some nice power. Pretty sweat for a budget minded deal.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The 290 Floteks otb seem to get turbulent after 0.600" lift. I suspect it is the same old story - jacked up short side to improve low lift numbers.
I would assume that the airspeed on the short side is worked on for the 800+ HP builds.
Still looks like a very decent piece!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts