Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
El Diablo
12,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta buy tires for my open trailer. Bias ply's are a little cheaper, but why should I get radials?

·
thread killer
4,075 Posts
bias tires are only rated to 60 max. if you're running on the interstate you probably want radials. plus the majority of the new bias tires have a terrible reputation for separation and dry rot.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Radials, and the highest load rating that will fit on your trailer. There are a ton of people running truck tires on their trailers, and have for a long time without issue, but I recommend you only run tires designed for trailer use. There is a difference in their construction and the sidewalls....Oh, and don't skimp....good tires cost more for a reason.....

·
El Diablo
12,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Radials, and the highest load rating that will fit on your trailer. There are a ton of people running truck tires on their trailers, and have for a long time without issue, but I recommend you only run tires designed for trailer use. There is a difference in their construction and the sidewalls....Oh, and don't skimp....good tires cost more for a reason.....
I actually stole the truck tires off it to put on a truck I'm going to sell, lol. Good info guys, I want to put a decent set on. I'll be sure to get radials then.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
my bias which seemed to pull nicer rotted away and split really bad. The radials which i believe pull worse because of the tread pattern seemed to be holding up much better. I vote radials tho!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Just got a set of 10 ply trailer tires for my 18ft car hauler. More tire than I need but for under $400 can't go wrong

·
Registered
92 Posts
bias has a stiffer side wall, radials have more flex = better ground contact better wear and run cooler.... better stability= less sway and last longer...most of the bias ply well sell are for off road trailers or cheap customers

·
NITROUS OUTLET FTW
6,700 Posts
make sure you buy trailer tire radials. I have seen regular truck tires come apart to often. I myself prefer bias tires.
I run 8 ply 14.5 utility at 10,000 lbs with no problem

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have always, for the last 20 years run Bias tires, no problems with good tires. No sway from them either.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
trailer tires when on a dual or triple axle setup will allways have sidewall stress a lot more than on a car or truck because they actually have to skid when in a turn..just go to a D or E rating and that is about all that you can do....there is no shortcut...!!!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I heard that bias ply tires ride better on a trailer because they are constructed with the belts going perpindicular to the road rather than parallel with the road. I heard this from the owner of a tire company but could have the details wrong.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I have always, for the last 20 years run Bias tires, no problems with good tires. No sway from them either.
Sway was the word I was looking for. Bias tires won't sway on a trailer like radials do.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts