Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 good bias ply tires and 2 radial that are the same size and was gonna put them on my old farm truck. This is not a daily driver and I'm sure I will get flamed for the thought of mixing them but should the bias go on the front or the rear? Yes I will put only radial on one axle and vice versa but at the price of tires I can't swing tires for a vehicle that might drive 12 miles into town once a month and the rest of the time be limited to just around the farm with minimal use even then. So with that said, is it best to put the radials on front or use the radials on the back and bias ply on the front? Thanks!

·
Pontiac NUT
6,293 Posts
I ran radials on the front of my Firebird with Bias ply American Racer/McCreary tires on the rear for years and never had a problem. I even got caught in the snow with that configuration and just drove like a normal person lol.

Reactions: Gasser 57

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. This is on an old 1980 K20 ¾ton truck. I will keep the radial on the same axle and bias on the other axle but wasn't sure which should go on front and what's best. I drove it a bit and have the bias on back and it's kinda sketchy driving down the road so I'm gonna switch the bias to the front. Unfortunately the bias ply tires have a bit more aggressive tread so might look funny but I don't care. My cattle don't give a shit what it looks like as long as the cake feeder works and the bale spear has a bale on it. Lol. Just want to make sure it's not gonna drive funny for those trips to town.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I always went bais ply in back and radial up front. if it is driving funny you need to make sure the tires are not so old that they are soft. tubes might help if they rock around on back.

Reactions: Russco

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
Keep her under 90 and Send It.

• Haha
Reactions: 69351mach

·
Registered
309 Posts
I remember a friend of mine had a right rear tire blowout on his Aspen RT and he replaced that radial with a similar sized used bias ply,needless to say we were out running around one day and went around a curve just above a normal speed and then all
hell broke loose.The car went out of control,spun about two donuts and we slammed into a hillside backwards.That was a lesson learned the hard way to never mismatch them side to side.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i switched the tires around to see how it reacted. At first I had the bias ply on the rear and radial up front. Truck was all over the place. I was in and out of both lanes. Like driving on ice at 70mph. It was SCARY as F*@#k! So I had nothing to lose and put the bias ply on front. Night and Day difference!! Tracks straight and true now and is perfectly stable up to 80mph. Can steer with one finger at 70mph instead of the death grip I needed at 30mph. Lesson learned on this. Bias ply on the front radial on the rear. Hopefully this helps others if they have the same problem. Thanks to all who chimed in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts