Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new Barry Grant 400 fuel pump and when I turn it on it sounds like it is just growling it gets about 5lbs pressure at the pump then turns itself off. I have installed a relay and everything is hooked up correct according to their instructions. Any help???

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Built in regulator on the side of the pump. Sounds like the bypass is almost all the way open dumping fuel back into the tank.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
if it is new, defective and purchased recently return it to the vendor, not bg. there q.c. absolutely sucks, a first grade class would do better.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Try priming it,pour fuel in the outlet side of the pump hose,mine has done that before,steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
as far as the growling and no more than 5 psi id say it needed to be primed and the bypass set . i primed mine by the bypass hose back to the fuell cell. but as far as shutting its self off, if u got it wired properly then its a defective pump or a bad relay ??? i dunno about that !!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just sent Barry Grant 3 bad pumps, and they only charged me $39.95 to fix 1. The other 2 they fixed for free. Talk to Jeff up there, he will take care you. Tell him you are a Bullet member, as they are doing everything possible to keep us happy. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I just sent Barry Grant 3 bad pumps, and they only charged me $39.95 to fix 1. The other 2 they fixed for free. Talk to Jeff up there, he will take care you. Tell him you are a Bullet member, as they are doing everything possible to keep us happy. Good luck!
X2. Jeff is a good guy. He helped me out too !

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
Make sure that you have fuel at the inlet and I have also seen a few very rare instances on a new install where the line needed to be cracked at the regulator as it was air locked.
Mine has done that a time or two after having the pump out of the car. Cracking a line loose fixed it right up.

Also make sure your inlet hose isn't collapsing or kinking.

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
I missed the part of it turning itself off. Are the wires, fuses, relays, pump, anything hot to touch when it turns off? Can you verify 12V+ at he pump even when it is "off?"

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It started to work as should but it is hot to the touch after it is run for a while. I think this is normal???

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I just installed a new Barry Grant 400 fuel pump and when I turn it on it sounds like it is just growling it gets about 5lbs pressure at the pump then turns itself off. I have installed a relay and everything is hooked up correct according to their instructions. Any help???
First problem is Barry Grant. However check the bypass. Make sure it is set correct. Check your wire size make sure you have the correct gauge wire to the pump. Next check your neutral (neg.) wire for size and make sure it goes back to battery not just ground on chassis. Pump should not run so hot you can't touch it. Crack fuel line it may have air lock. When it leaks (and it will) do not send it back to Grant. Call product engineering. They have the kits of correct o-ring to fix it. My Barry Grant to over six weeks to get rebuilt at Barry Grant. Product Engineering sent the kit out same day I called. Repaired myself in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
take the bg400 to your desk and use it as a paper weight or maybe even a good johnboat anchor. then call aeromotive for your new pump. problem solved. g'day

·
Registered
710 Posts
i went through 4 new bg400 pumps in 4 days, 3 leaked, all 4 didnt have pressure or volume the sticker on bypass said. so i went to a magnafuel 5000 and havent had any issues. only bg product i use is the carb's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts