Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new Barry Grant 400 fuel pump and when I turn it on it sounds like it is just growling it gets pressure at the pump about 5lbs then turns itself off. I have installed a relay and everything is hooked up correct according to their instructions. Any help???

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Do some searches on here...BG is crap! Send it back.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i don't have a bg but i've heard they're crap from numerous sources as well. even when i got my prosystems carb i was talking with patrick on possible fuel pump ideas and suggested a bg400 and he mentioned how they burn out frequently. bg may have "fixed" the issue with them since then, but i have not heard anything of the sort.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If it,s new BG will cover it for free with your purchase reciept... I know it sucks being new and now the added hassle of sending it back. I would,nt just go get a new one. I have 2 BG pumps 280 & 400 both I brought used , sent them to bg they repaired the both. The 280 has performed false-less, Preparing to up grade to the 400.
They both were growling, That growling you hearing is the vains grinding against the inside ring which "Will clog your entire fuel system... I bet the vains are stuck in the out position, Did the pump sit for awhile ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
my 400 gph bg pump wont pump if the tank empties, i have to take the line off at the regulator and turn it on for a short time ti prime it i guess. Many will say theyre junk but i havent had any issues aside from this primimg issue . try it maybe it will solve your problem

·
Registered
704 Posts
my 400 gph bg pump wont pump if the tank empties, i have to take the line off at the regulator and turn it on for a short time ti prime it i guess. Many will say theyre junk but i havent had any issues aside from this primimg issue . try it maybe it will solve your problem
x2

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
BG is NOT junk.. I have ran BG stuff for 15+ years and I have a BG280 in my car now that is 10yr old and still works just fine , although I need to send it in to get the drip fixed...

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can send it in for repair. I just received one back (400) they replaced everything even the motor. Just kept the housing on the bottom. The damage to the pump was my fault as I replaced the seal around the shaft and didn't realize the the vanes are directional and destroyed the basket in the bottom of the pump. They had pump about 3 weeks, this is longer than normal. When they called and said they had replaced the motor, and all the other parts and it was ready I was not happy thought that they were going to charge me for everything( new motor) (I wasn't going to put 2-3 hundred dollars in a used pump.) They said since they had it for couple of weeks they would cover all charges including shipping so it cost me 0 not saying yours will be free but I can't complain about mine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
the seals can be bought off ebay ( i know all about ebay ) but they were the correct ones and after talking to mike canter he pointed me in the right direction.
we got the seals 2 days before our meet so i was more that happy.
the BG 400 has the same seal as the magnaflow pump
hope this helps.
oh and this pump is 15 years old and still going strong so bg works in my book.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Yeah Magnafuel stepped up big time and started selling the seals so you don't have to fool with e-bay any more.

As far as the BG 400 I don't think it is nearly as good the others, that said if its not mounted below the level of the cell then that is probably the problem.

Any electric pump should be mounted below the level of the fuel, if the fuel does not run freely into the pump it will cavitate and the vanes will be destroyed in short order.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I replaced the seal around the shaft and didn't realize the vanes are directional and destroyed the basket in the bottom of the pump.
I have rebuilt many BG 400 pumps, and I am not aware of the vanes being directional. I have flipped the vanes around when they have become worn many times. I have had no real issues with my BG pumps in the last 12 years. The biggest problem usually is having a big enough supply line to the pump and having the pump mounted correctly. A BG 400 has to have a -12 supply line.

Any electric pump should be mounted below the level of the fuel, if the fuel does not run freely into the pump it will cavitate and the vanes will be destroyed in short order.
X1000000

1 - 18 of 18 Posts