Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and jeff "ponydown" were modifying my turbo kit to fit my 393 and pt88 and had to extend the crossover pipe and cant belive what we found. this is a 3yr old quick time kit and the last set of passes it ran were in the high 9"s.
the flex coupler is so blown out you can barely even see thru it and there was a large wad of wire mesh that fell out. i have no idea how this didnt get sucked into the turbo and wreck everything but i sure am lucky. if i would have ran my brand new turbo and sucked that wire up it would have ruined everything! check out the pics and beware there has to be others out there!!!!!!!!!!

looks normal here

not so much here

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
without it off the car and a close up look you would never see this. from now on i guess its gonna be some sort of yearly check. maybe run a small bore scope in there just to check things out. i sure hope everyone pulls there crap apart to be safe.

·
Registered
210 Posts
awesome find man. i wonder why it did that? do you think its cheap parts? you didn't have any bind when it was installed did ya? I like the borescope idea, would be cheap insurance and might lead to learning why this happened. glad you found it before the new stuff went on!!!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You can chizzle the inner ring out on those that holds the inner mesh in, it will then leave a smooth inner surface that will never break down. You can also buy those flexes with the proper lining in them. Even vibrant racing offers them with the quality liner.

Is the turbo hurt any?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there was nothing that could have caused this other than a bad part. my kit was well built and only a couple thousand miles old. just dumb luck that i found this before it became a problem.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Another reason to spend your money right and purchase a slip joint bellow, or make certain that you buy the flex joints without the mesh on the inside such as the ones Vibrant performance sells.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Another reason to spend your money right and purchase a slip joint bellow, or make certain that you buy the flex joints without the mesh on the inside such as the ones Vibrant performance sells.
Agreed, or just not run one at all. Just an FYI, the QuickTime you mentioned is not the QuickTime Motorsports I own. Just want to clarify, as I have never used one of those particular bellows.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Nothing wrong with the part or flexes in general. You just aren't supposed to use the flex sections with mesh as an inner liner before the turbo. Lot's of places sell the correct ones with the smooth inner liner rather then the mesh. Or use the really nice inconel slip joint bellows that places like SPD sell.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Food for thought, if you are wanting to check it, why not use v-bands on both sides to take it in and out easy?

·
Registered
861 Posts
This is turbo 101 stuff, you don't use flex joints with internal mesh on ANY turbo kit. They have flex joints without that internal mesh available at plenty of website and the bellows are also available (no mesh).

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
I think this just made me decide on not running a flex.
there are safe flex couplers, they cost a little more but they work fine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts