Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This chick I know just got a 1998 Durango from her grandad. She plans to pull a small trailer a lot. She was asking me about what mods would help her get better mileage. It is a nice truck, it only has about 60,000 miles on it. It is a v-8. What would help the most? Thanks.
Ron

·
Just Sayin Crew V.P.
37,825 Posts
Damm:smt081Treed. I was about to say drive it downhill with the engine off:ANAL::ANAL:Usual stuff tune up, synthetic fluids throughout, tire pressure, and a k&n air filter. Most important the driver

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damm:smt081Treed. I was about to say drive it downhill with the engine off:ANAL::ANAL:Usual stuff tune up, synthetic fluids throughout, tire pressure, and a k&n air filter. Most important the driver

Its worth putting synthetic fluids in it? Can you flash the computer? Make it shift better?

·
Just Sayin Crew V.P.
37,825 Posts
I did it with my pickups in 08 when the fuels ice spiked. For the diesel pickups picked up 2-2 12 miles overall

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did it with my pickups in 08 when the fuels ice spiked. For the diesel pickups picked up 2-2 12 miles overall
Just from synthetic fluids? 2-2 1/2 mpg is a lot. Maybe it is possible she can get over 10 mpg?...lol

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
My 99 5.2 Durango gets 16 mpg during normal driving and 12-13 while towing a car and trailer. I use all synthetic lubricants and keep the tires pumped up, but I don't think that's it. I keep it tuned and drive it very gingerly. The driving style can make all the difference in the world...on most any vehicle. Take care. Tom Worthington.

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 99 5.2 Durango gets 16 mpg during normal driving and 12-13 while towing a car and trailer. I use all synthetic lubricants and keep the tires pumped up, but I don't think that's it. I keep it tuned and drive it very gingerly. The driving style can make all the difference in the world...on most any vehicle. Take care. Tom Worthington.
Your right, the driving style has a lot to do with it. I can't say I really know how she drives it, but being a woman, I assume that is one part of the equation that is not repairable...lol I realize it ALL matters.
I, myself, would turn it and get different vehicle.

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
3.91 or 3.55?
I don't know? Can you tell from the v.i.n.?

She is coming by this afternoon, I have her other car here. Its a Subaru with over 225,000 miles on it that pops out of second gear...lol It has a lot of other issues so I'm reluctant to even want to put a trans in it.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,187 Posts
I don't know? Can you tell from the v.i.n.?

She is coming by this afternoon, I have her other car here. Its a Subaru with over 225,000 miles on it that pops out of second gear...lol It has a lot of other issues so I'm reluctant to even want to put a trans in it.

I think so. Go to www.compnine.com and put the vin in. It should give you a list of every option on the truck.

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all the input. Ultimately, it would probably be better to sell it now, while it is in very good shape, and get something else.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My best is 15.2 in town and highway no diff but has been a great truck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts