Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been racing for about 15 years and have always run tubes in my slicks. Would there be any advantage to not running tubes? I'm trying to knock a couple tenths off for a 10.00 index class I race. The best I can tune the car to now is a 10.17. I need to find something somewhere and I don't want to spray it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Going tubeless will be worth up to a tenth or better depending on your tube weight & size. Past memory, a friend of mine weight a tube for a 14 x 32 tire and I think it weight around 18 lbs each. I have been tubeless and no rim screws with my car wright from the start. No problems with the tire spinning or the bead coming off. All most all of todays Stock & Super Stockers are tubeless.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I quit running tubes in slicks almost 15 yrs ago now. Been fine tubless but until this set of Magnum wheels I ran rim screws. I was told the new rims of today are a tighter fit so screws are not always needed. I've run 1.18 sixty ft times at over 2900 lbs and the rim hasn't slipped yet. With all that said a tube is not 5 lbs each in my mind so in my experiences I never saw much if any ET help.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
28x10.5W with mickey thompson tubes. If I can get a tenth, they're GONE!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If there was actually a tenth from running tubes everyone would dump them.......LOL. I swapped out a 35 spline heavy standard spool and solid standard flange axels to 40 spline ultra light axels and spool over the winter. Saved several lbs of rotating weight. Car runs the same so that money was wasted......LOL. I guess I feel safer with new axels......LOL. RM

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, no gain is good I guess. I feel more comfortable running the tubes. I still need to find a few tenths somewhere:smt100

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't have a car near as fast as most car I've seen on here.
But my car is heavy turbo car and I couldn't lower the air press
enough without the car walking bad on the other end.
Installed tubes in 28x10.5's now the car is steady @ lower psi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts