Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm just too lazy to look it up, but I'd like opinions on the best weight distributing hitch that also has sway control. I've never towed with one, but feel that it's time to make that step since we plan to travel with our setup now, and I'd just like the peace of mind.... I welcome all input!

I do have a class V receiver, so something available with a 2.5" shank would be preferred....

·
Registered
21,090 Posts
One caveat. For years, I used one, then bought another similar. Both used the bars which are "L" shaped with a groove in the top. They are retained from falling out by a cheap ass spring pin device in the hitch. You can see them in this photo

https://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/P/S/PS49903_h_1000.jpg

Normally, with the bars tight, they "hold themselves." But if one of those pins / springs is a little iffy, and you go over, say, railroad tracks or another bump which can "unload" everything at the hitch, one of the bars can (and has) pop out of there. I don't have to tell you these are large and heavy enough to do real damage.

If I was buying a new hitch, I'd stay away from that design.

·
T/S 368E
32,435 Posts

Lie I said in the same thread right below this, the L shaped bars seem way more secure.
Maybe I was lucky, but the 2-3 sets I've owned have a quality pin and clip set up, that have never given me a second of issues or worries.
They do hold in place through anything, and I've hit some big ass pot holes, construction damage and have had zero issues of any kind damaging the clip.
My neighbor wore out his clip in style, but it was very very old and he loaned it out many many times.

Good luck.

·
Wild Addiction
2,299 Posts
i run an older Reese with sway control , i would not tow with out it

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Old Reese trunion style here. I just bought a heavier set of spring bars for the enclosed I recently acquired. I have two platforms, one for the camper and one for the car trailers. The camper and my open were alright with the 550 lb bars but the enclosed has more tongue weight. No sway control. I haven't had a sway issue as long as there is enough tongue weight and the bars are cranked up to level everything.

But I have to say this is just my experience. Is something else better? Don't know.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
i run an older Reese with sway control , i would not tow with out it

38 years of towing and this is all I've ever used. Buy the adjustable head so you can raise or lower the head and on most you can also change the head angle. I have two different heads set up for my 3/4 Dodge and 25 foot motorhome. Lots of times you can find them used locally in the Craigslist ads.

·
T/S 368E
32,435 Posts

Mine is another name, don't remember off hand, but looks exactly like the Husky, but obviously with a bigger ball.
Just don't grease the sway control, and like most things, it gets easier to set up the more you use it.
I can do mine alone in seconds and don't even use the pry bar anymore once you learn the tricks to quickly attach everything!!!

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
38 years of towing and this is all I've ever used. Buy the adjustable head so you can raise or lower the head and on most you can also change the head angle. I have two different heads set up for my 3/4 Dodge and 25 foot motorhome. Lots of times you can find them used locally in the Craigslist ads.

Yep, My first one and the one I use on the car trailer is welded solid. I needed to change the height for the camper. Different size balls also so it's nice having two of them. Found a genuine Reese, totally adjustable head on Craigs for $75. And best part it was 10 miles from me!! The heads are over $200 new.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
I started looking at hitches online after reading this thread. Actually, complete setups aren't as pricey as I thought. It's when you buy the parts individually it gets crazy. I just paid 200 bucks for heavier spring bars but see whole setups for 250-300. If I were starting from scratch, I'd get a Reese type with the cam style sway control.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
torq lift is the ONLY one that is actually made totally in america..
most all other brands are all owned by one big conglomerate that makes the crap overseas or in mexico...

·
Registered
4,149 Posts

·
T/S 368E
32,435 Posts

It's been many years, but I believe they did offer like 3 different bars??
I just bought the highest tongue weight listed, and have had zero issues.
As they say, we are racecar drivers and we always need more stuff, more weight, so I knew I would need the max at some point!!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
It is pricey... But not as pricey as all the stuff behind it... And the stuff in front of it is priceless!

I tow a 30ft long 10 ft high, tri axle 14000LB mini stacker and couldn't get over 50 Mph without SERIOUS sway. I'm talking white knuckle ride. And I've had plenty of experience towing (I have my class AZ). I tried the Reese and Blue Ox and neither did the job. I moved the cargo and had it weighed 5 separate times. I had the tongue weight bang on at 15% of the loaded weight. Yes these hitches transferred weight to the front axle but neither of them did much to control the sway. I was seriously going to cut the tongue off this brand new trailer and weld a gooseneck on it.

I started looking online for gooseneck conversions and found the "hensley" and "propride". Hensley is the first generation and ProPride is the latest. I balked at the price but the more I read, the more testimonials just kept coming. So I called and spoke to Sean (the owner). I told him I wasn't sure as the price was pretty steep. He told me if it didn't work he'd give me my money back. Sounded good to me.

I ordered the hitch. The instructions were good, but I had questions. He listed his personal cell number in the instructions and I called him twice after hours and both times he called me back within minutes. This hitch works awesome. I can pull 70 mph all day long with one hand on the wheel.

Like most people, I don't bother to follow up when stuff goes right (only when it goes bad) but I couldn't let this pass. ProPride is a stand up company, with a stand up owner with a stand up product. They deserve the recommendation.

And No I don't know the guy and No I'm not getting paid for this.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Trent

1 - 17 of 17 Posts