Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cutting out rusty floor pans. The floor pans available for purchase don't go up high enough into the firewall so I have to cut out and make my own panels. What is the best way to do so? Cut a bunch of different pieces, smack with a hammer to get them to fit, tack together as I go?

I have some spot welds I still need to drill out and a bit more cutting, but these pics are the start, and where I ended up this afternoon. This is the driver side footwell/firewall area

My thoughts were to cut up some cardboard and make a template, but the way this car is there are so many panels spotwelded together that sometimes the top layer is rusted, sometimes the bottom layer, and of course they cross over the frame and I don't want/need to cut those out.

any suggestions?

·
43,073 Posts
It's really personal preference, depending on your skill and ability. Whatever comes easier to you. I know guys who can make a basic template out of cardboard or paper, transfer it to sheet metal, cut it, shrink it, stretch it, weld it, and basically form the exact panel they cut off.

Others will cut smaller pieces and slowly build the replacement panel, one small piece at a time, welding each in as he goes.

Just don't rush it. Look at the repair area. Study it, see what panels and pieces need to be done first, what gets welded over what. Lay in the replacement floor panel in first, and figure out how much more you need to fabricate.

You can always pop rivet or sheet metal screw the pieces you are making onto the floor, to test fit everything before doing any permanent welding.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Poster board paper from hobby lobby.
Same stuff kids use for projects works great for templates. Should cut out the rust holes with thought in mind to try and make best template off the piece you cut out. Try not to cut alot out at once you will get lost on were to start and where to finish....was that better typed "Frank crank" 😜
Or go to junkyard and cut out what you need from a clean one..also the firewall replacement panel will come down far enough to meet you floor pan panel if bought new. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its done. cardboard worked, though welding 20ga panels sure looks like dog shit. Really humbles you as a welder. Been welding 15 years and not many people i've ever worked with can lay a better looking bead. All that changed yesterday!!

Hammered Dog Shit!

·
43,073 Posts
Poster board paper from hobby lobby.
Same stuff kids use for projects works great for templates. Should cut out the rust holes with thought in mind to try and make best template off the piece you cut out. Try not to cut alot out at once you will get lost on were to start and where to finish....was that better typed "Frank crank" 😜
Or go to junkyard and cut out what you need from a clean one..also the firewall replacement panel will come down far enough to meet you floor pan panel if bought new. Just a thought
Nice....just making sure your good advice didn't go unnoticed. You'd be surprised how a few periods and commas get the point across so much better. ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lol well you have me paying more attention thats good.
Hey you did a good job thats all that matters. Yes thin sheetmetal really can seperate the ones that can weld and the ones that cant..I purchased a miller "cricket" decades ago it a 110 unit 130amp max infinite adjustment for wire and heat. This is great for pans and roofs,qtrs, on car patches. Can pick them up on eBay for cheap few hundred bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts