Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to pull the next gear early or try to peddel the gas. If i pull second gear as soon as it starts getting high it bounces like a basket ball when it lands. If I peddel the gas it slams down harder and allways seams to break something. This is usualy only a problem when the track is cool and biting hard. Here is a video of me pulling second as soon as the fron end get over a couple of feet up.

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff46/ytoddmalibu/?action=view&current=2010tt1.flv

Todd

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Get a dirtbike and practice wheelies on it. :)

It's worked best for me to let off the throttle and then get back on it right away. You can't just let off or it slams back to the ground. The trick is getting the feel for when to get back on it.

·
Registered
68,903 Posts
What kind of shocks are you running at both ends ? Single or dbl adjustables ?
If you have doubles on the rear, you can stiffen up the extension rate some.

I've never been a big fan of limiters on the front. One alternative is to move weight forward and better balance the car.

·
Registered
650 Posts
so the only change between the 2 passes you posted is that you tightened up on the front travel limiters? No shock/strut changes?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
They sell some things called.....................wheelie bars ,that stops that.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shocks up front are Comp 3way set to 60/40 tight extension, the rear are single adj set at 4 clicks from full loose. The car is a bbc dart block and nose heavy now. I run a th400 with a 2.10 gear set but it still goes skyward sometimes and its not allways the same track conditions.

Yes the only change was tightning the front limiters and if you watch the video slow it does spin a fair amount but its still faster because I can wait for the shift light rather than pulling it 500rpm early.

Todd

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run a heads up class that does not allow wheelie bars or I would run them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have considered a set of adjustable front shocks as soon as money allows it. 7531 is a option but I still here about people having issues with them, not sure if I want to spend money on upgrading the ignition to fix a chassis problem. All good ideas though. I think I will keep tweaking what I have until money comes in for front suspention upgrades.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Shocks are a must. Being able to pull some power out on launch is a good way also. The key with pedal is do it before you get to the top. If it is going up do it on the way. Charlie Booze is a master at it. I have watched his car 100's of times and it is a fine line between perfect and pedal.

Get some shocks

Tim

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
One like that I'd ride out. But that's me. If I get one that is obviously going over the fulcrum point, Sometimes a quick rap on the whoa peddle while keeping the gas down will stop the momentum and bring it down fairly easy.

Personally, the best cure for wheel stands I have found is not using any limiters at all and just tightening the front shocks. But you'll need more than just a 3 way to use that approach.

And be careful with the 7531 if you go that way, sometimes pulling timing will make it climb the ring gear even more. Depends on how much power you are throwing at it early and if the car is already dead-hooking the tire or not.

Here's one of mine with a little too much launch retard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KmQG_zeZQ

Peddaled it a couple times on the way up and it just kept on going.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your video got a little fuzzy at the end but looked like the back tires were getting ready to come off the ground. I'v had all four off the ground 270 feet out one time and that was enough for me cost 4grand to put it back together. I don't think I will be doing any box swaps I will probobly save up some cash and start with good adjustable shocks.

·
Registered
68,903 Posts
Don't be shy in moving weight forward.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Your video got a little fuzzy at the end but looked like the back tires were getting ready to come off the ground. I'v had all four off the ground 270 feet out one time and that was enough for me cost 4grand to put it back together. I don't think I will be doing any box swaps I will probobly save up some cash and start with good adjustable shocks.

If you can slow it down, right before the wife drops the cam, they do come off the ground. Didn't tear up anything suspension wise, but car moved right and when it came back down it tapped the wall. But I think a better front shock will help you out a lot.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rear springs are 130lb rate for 12in coil overs from S/W. I would like to use a shock that will bolt into the factory location with out any mods. I see strange and Qa-1 both make a set. I have QA-1 single adjustable shocks on the rear and they are ok until I can afford a set of dbl adjustables. Does Afco offer a front set for gm G-bodied cars? Never heard of BNC where are they from.

Todd

1 - 20 of 29 Posts