Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deep GM Metal pan on it now with no drain plug, I'd like to upgrade to one with a Drain and Bung for temp if possible..unless trans temp should be done elsewhere?? Finned Cast seems like its best for strength..need some input. I also want to remove tranny blanket..any suggestions there?

·
Registered
217 Posts
The B&M pan would be my first choice, cheeper, just used one very nice piece, came with a provisions for a temp. sensor, 2nd choice, TCI good pan but pricy! Burt

·
Super Moderator
19,474 Posts
The best part about GM steel pans is that shield brackets and shifter brackets fit. Most alum pans for the 400 make it almost impossible to get brackets bolted up to as they didn't leave any room between the pan sides and the bolt holes!!
I normally use "new" stock GM pans and install a drain plug in them.

Hutch

·
Registered
217 Posts
We just installed a TCI aluminum shield onto a 400th with a aluminum pan, it was not that bad, we ground the two side brackets to fit the thicker pan, and bolted it right on. The B&M pan was a decent price and was already drilled and tapped for a temp. sender, everything worked out great! Burt

·
My little SBC...
2,690 Posts
The best part about GM steel pans is that shield brackets and shifter brackets fit. Most alum pans for the 400 make it almost impossible to get brackets bolted up to as they didn't leave any room between the pan sides and the bolt holes!!
I normally use "new" stock GM pans and install a drain plug in them.

Hutch
Second this! I just weld in a 3/8" to 1/4" reducing bushing and plug with a 1/4" pipe plug at the angled spot in the rear.

The cast pans "may" provide additional stiffness to the case. If you can weld the plug above you can probably modify the brackets.

Jim

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I also always use New GM pans on my builds, if someone wants an option I tell them to get the Moroso pan.

Those cast pans are much heavier & also make linkage /shield brackets a pain in the ass

Just my .02

Hope this helps

Dave

·
Super Moderator
19,474 Posts
I also always use New GM pans on my builds, if someone wants an option I tell them to get the Moroso pan.

Those cast pans are much heavier & also make linkage /shield brackets a pain in the ass

Just my .02

Hope this helps

Dave
Hey , is that the ultimate broski in your avatar? :p

Hutch

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I use new stockers as well.Someone in the warehouse probably has said to themself "What the f#$% is this guy ordering 20 of these at a time for?"I had a few of the aluminum types not take the dipstick,beleive it or not.Too much casting .

·
YB Managing Editor
51,152 Posts
I have the Summit pan. Order it with an R on the end of the part number and it comes blank. A few minutes of grinding and all my brackets and shields fit fine.

109 bucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts