Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently lost the keys to my trailer coupler lock and pin lock. Luckily they were off the trailer at the time. So I need new ones. I just did a little research and it looks like most of them can be picked pretty easy just like any other lock. I tried to find some reviews or test but came up empty. I'm guessing nothing is 100%, but I want the best I can get. I usually throw a cable lock through two wheels, coupler lock, and pin lock.

Suggestions or thoughts? I'm sure with all the stolen shit all the time this may help some others rethink their setup.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I have a coupler lock and a pin lock, and I always leave a vehichle or two parked in front of the trailer. If they want it, they are going to have to work for it.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
with all the battery powered hand tools out to day (cut off tools) Dewalt, Ridged, porter cable,ect ect no Lock is safe... but will say thicker the better. i work at a college and last week i had a student loose a key to his 1/2"-5/8" thick kryptonite bike lock. i thought OK, grabbed the 36" dead bolt cutters, and gave it a go, it barely put a chink in it , had to go to our shop and grab our 4" cut off tool, that sliced threw it like a hot butter knife on butter....

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I have a lock that fits up into the bal area on the trailer hitch. It was 60 bucks but it would be alot of work without a torch to get it off. Take two wheels and tires off one side. Set it on chrome jack stands thru the week. Ya have to be a little smarter than the crook.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
This is the best lock I have found. Doesn't mean there's not something better out there, this is just the best I have found.

http://www.trimaxlocks.com/_e/UNIVERSAL_UNATTENDED_COUPLER_LOCKS/product/UMAX100/UMAX_100_Universal_Unattended_Trailer_Lock.htm

As for an alarm, I've been contemplating a home security system with a cellular phone inside.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1452-model-2500-uplink-model-2500-universal-gsm-alarm-communicator.aspx

I figure this way I can have the benefits of the siren, plus the alarm will call the security company who can call me and the cops. Having a cell phone inside should allow it to be tracked, I would think? Burglar alarm monitoring is dirt cheap.

·
Bracket racer
5,191 Posts

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
True but I figure the more hassle for the POS thieves the better.
They cut my cable and broke off the tongue lock last July and were gone in minutes! I now use some HUGE grade 8 chain and a $45 Master lock attached loosely so they cant twist it off. The chain and lock are so hard they will break the blades on bolt cutters. I also have some motion activated perimeter sensors hooked to a very loud alarm. It has worked for me so far, now if the other 2 theives will just take the plea deal and pay for the equipment and gear that we didnt recover I would be good to go!

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,432 Posts
Ive got a friend I work with that can pick any lock anyway. He can even pick the Master 4 digit # roller locks that are like 50 bucks. If someone wants it bad enough they will get it. Go with what you had and hope for the best.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A friend of mine has all the normal stuff hitch lock, alarm inside etc. but the icing of his stuff is the GPS monitoring system. It's installed in a hidden place and will call his cell phone if the trailer moves. I personally saw it work when we pulled off with it one day after he forgot to deactivate it. It called, told us what street it was on, what direction it was traveling and how fast. Only drawback is you have to have web access to turn it on/off. :cool: JB

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
A friend of mine has all the normal stuff hitch lock, alarm inside etc. but the icing of his stuff is the GPS monitoring system. It's installed in a hidden place and will call his cell phone if the trailer moves. I personally saw it work when we pulled off with it one day after he forgot to deactivate it. It called, told us what street it was on, what direction it was traveling and how fast. Only drawback is you have to have web access to turn it on/off. :cool: JB
What system is that? The GPS.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The alarm and GPS tracking is the ticket. Make it as difficult as possible to take quickly but just know ANY lock can be defeated.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts