Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 30ft enclosed 8ft high box double axle. Hooked to gmc 2500 crew cab. Took it across the truck scales fully loaded , cars, golf cart, passengers, coolers etc. 17,900 lbs. need advice on best away control and brake controller. I was looking at the prodigy p2. Also I know there is a difference between sway control kits and weight distribution bars. Any advice or options on keeping this rig in one lane is appreciated. Also I have air lift air bags on the truck so it rides 100% level. Thanks guys!

·
T/S 368E
33,431 Posts

I don't like the clip in style bars, I like the style with the hole on bottom the bar's slide up into.
Used both, and I'm just not comfortable, it just doesn't seem as secure???

I've also used and not used my sway control. 99% of the time I've seen zero difference.
I did tow through a pretty big storm one time, and I had it on.
It was still a wild ride, so I can't even imagine what the wind would have done without it???
For the small added cost, I would get it and use it just in case, especially at 18K.
Cheap insurance :)

Good luck.

Oh yea, I basically have about what you have, except triple axle, a little taller, and I use my F-350 or F-250 super duty's.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I think you are very close to being over loaded on the trailer. If you have room to move you car try moving it about 6 inches further forward and see if it helps. This is hard to judge but if the rear of the truck is swaying, you have too much tongue weight. If trailer is swaying, too much weight on trailer axle. Equalizer bars or sway control will only hide a bad condition if you are over loaded. Just my opinion.

Etrailer.com has every thing you need for brake control and sway control. I just installed an electronic controller (Sorry I can't remember brand) but you can buy the harness for your truck and it plugs in with NO splicing or any thing. Takes about 15 mins to install.

I found out that my trailer was overloaded when suddenly tires were worn out. Pulled tires off to go get new ones and found they had been rubbing inside of wheels. Once I sat down and started adding up everything in trailer I realized what the problem was.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One question Whats the tong weight?? This is the second most important thing
if you have sway. I tow my enclosed all over with out sway control but I do use
bars to put some weight back on the front. I also have a DRW truck.
I see your in Maryland if you close to me I do have a Tong weight scale just let me know and we can get it done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of you he weight. I plan to remove 1200 lbs because I don't use nos anymore and also take out some weight bars I never use. I'm
Going to price out adding a third axle I think. Also what about taking those shitty trailer tires and running a car/truck tire like good year Michelin etc...?

·
T/S 368E
33,431 Posts

Getting a higher load tire is never a bad idea.
I'm not a fan of the truck tire deal. I've always just bought the best trailer tire I could.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Stay with trailer tires. But the best you can get and get highest load range you can get. There is a difference in how trailer tires are made because of the different sidewall stress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts