Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing that the local salvage yards are all drying up. Either closing or shifting to 10 years or newer and crushing after 90 days. I enjoy walking around and looking for parts for my junk ,stuff I can adapt or rebuild. Definitely cant find older stuff anymore. Finding core engines for a street car rebuild are becoming a challenge. Race car stuff is different. All that seems to be left is EBAY , Facebook market place (yuk) and every once in a while craigslist. No one parts out either whole garbage car or nothing.
When I lived out west I knew all the best yards. They have since closed or evolved. I moved to the Galveston TX area and cant find anything so far.
Any ideas?
Is the same thing where everyone else is at?
Just curious. Just trying to find a gas pedal assembly for a 1964 V-8 Plymouth or something I can adapt and striking out.

·
Registered
418 Posts
couple good ones sold out to a group called Fenix , they suck now, oops can I say that or will I get banned?

·
Registered
27,377 Posts
Try Hemmings.com and/or desert valley auto parts...

·
rodent aviator
7,330 Posts
Land is too valuable to leave junk cars lying around rotting away. Any yards within 50 miles of me are all computerized and tied into the national database. They make money by turning over inventory as quickly as possible. Cars are brought in, stripped of valuable parts and then crushed in a relatively short time. All inventory is tracked so if you call they can tell you what they do or don't have. Not enough land to save 30 year old wrecks for the one old fart coming in to offer $10 for that rare piece of body trim or window crank handle.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I frequent B&R in Medford. They have the same shit as every other yard, but they're cool with people just wandering around to see what's there, plus when you find something you want, you can go ask the price and it's always the same answer, "what's it worth to you?" Anything reasonable is accepted and more than once I've had them throw in small parts that I grabbed with whatever I took off. Good people.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
We have a Wrench-A-Part. Has plenty the same old junk shit that I drive. They have "time sales" where the first hour it's 50% off, the next is 40%, etc. The text goes out mid afternoon the day before, so me and the rest of the tightwads head there and remove everything we need and stash it, then cash out on it during the sale. No grinders allowed but I cut a pair of fender areas out of a square body bed with my Milwaukee HackZall that were perfect. Took 15 minutes to cut 'em both out and my cost was $18. For both.
For most people, they ask what they're working on so they can direct them to the correct area of the yard.
For me, they ask which of my piece of shit hoopties I'm working on since that's what I've told 'em I own since day one.
Highly recommended for my area, I think they do a great job and it keeps me from having to store crap...cheap enough to buy that it's not worth storing.

AND...a lot of times I'm able to get fenders, doors, etc. that are the right color...Priceless!!!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Almost all the independents around here are gone. B & R is the big dog here. Nothing older there.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
There are a couple of pick a part type yards here but the best one got sold out to a larger corp and now it is not the same. It used to be very organized. GM in these rows, Mopar in these and so on. They had a side area where older stuff would land. Now every thing is scattered. Stuff comes in fuel is removed, batteries and cats. Then they hit the lot. They put every thing up on stands made out of old wheels one flat and one standing up welded together. It seems like you can never find a vehicle with all 4 of the same matching tires and wheels only 3. I don't know why that is. They leave most stuff sit to be picked apart for 30-60 days then crushed.

·
Registered
39,887 Posts
We have 3 here, none of which are of much use. If you need late-model parts they buy 'em from LKQ, mark them up and sell them. I can buy from LKQ direct like anybody else can so why pay a middleman.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts