Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed up on the board cuz I heard there was a lot of really knowledgeable guys on here when it comes to nitrous. I figured i'd post up and see what you guys think would be the best choice for my car. I have a '99 Camaro with an ls1 in it. I just recently got the car running again and one of the things I did while it was down was swap to a carb style intake with an accufab 4150 throttle body on it. I'm gettin ready to start puttin the nitrous setup together for it and was wondering which plate kit is the best for even distribution. I had a problem with getting uneven distribution on my old setup on a 300 shot and chunked a couple plugs and hurt a couple pistons and would like to make sure that does not happen again. I don't really want to put a direct port on the car cuz they're a clutter. I'm lookin for a single stage plate that is good to 500 hp and has good solenoids for pulsing with a progressive. I will be starting back out at 300 and bumping up to 400 shortly after and eventually when I know I have enough money back in the bank to build a new motor if something happens i'm gonna try bumping up to 500 (don't know if the heads will stay down with that big of a hit, so I wanna be prepared to build an LSX blocked motor if something happens so i'm not down for too long). I was looking at the speedtech diffuser and the nx gemini twin pro power, but wanted to hear some real world results and opinions. Hopin to see some 8 second passes out of the car if the progressive can help me keep her off the bumper, she went 9.4's on the 300 with the old setup and put down about 65 rwhp more on the motor with the new setup and picked up about 2 - 3 mph in the 1/8th (haven't had a chance to hit a 1/4 track yet since gettin her running again), so I think it's doable, especially on the bigger shots. Thanks for any help guys, much appreciated!

·
Thread killer
1,879 Posts
The best plate kit for even distribution would be a fogger! Seriously why not a fogger unless class rules dictate a plate? Sounds like you plan on spraying it like it's full of roaches. A fogger or two or a fogger and a plate would be better than one 500hp hit through a plate.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best plate kit for even distribution would be a fogger! Seriously why not a fogger unless class rules dictate a plate? Sounds like you plan on spraying it like it's full of roaches. A fogger or two or a fogger and a plate would be better than one 500hp hit through a plate.
I really wanted to stay away from a fogger if possible cuz they're just such a mess, i'd prefer to keep it simple with a plate.

·
Thread killer
1,879 Posts
I really wanted to stay away from a fogger if possible cuz they're just such a mess, i'd prefer to keep it simple with a plate.
In that case call Steve Johnson and ask him about flowing your manifold with a two stage cross bar plate like the Edelbrock Victor plate or NOS double cross plate. The dual spray bar plates have pretty good distribution. There are people on here much more knowledgeable than myself with the perimeter and diffuser style plates. Maybe they will chime in. I would look hard at a fogger for ultimate tuneability and engine longevity though.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
In that case call Steve Johnson and ask him about flowing your manifold with a two stage cross bar plate like the Edelbrock Victor plate or NOS double cross plate. The dual spray bar plates have pretty good distribution. There are people on here much more knowledgeable than myself with the perimeter and diffuser style plates. Maybe they will chime in. I would look hard at a fogger for ultimate tuneability and engine longevity though.
Any of the GOOD plates can be made to have good distribution, but it has to be flowed with your manifold.. It's a very timely process, but money well spent... You're pushin the envelope with that big of a hit, but it can be done..

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
as stated above...a fogger is the best.
but i am a "simple guy" and like plate too.
kinda like the speedtech plate the best.
but steve will not steer you wrong.
i have used ALL kind of plates and foggers and like the diffuser the best.

sniper
cheater
big shot
nx gemini phase 6
pro fogger
used them all
but started using the diffuser 3.5yrs ago and luv it...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
ive had alot of different plates 2 and the speedtech is by far the most quality peice ive used ..
ive had
nos 2 stage big shot
gemini stage 6 perimeter plate very nice just hard to use .
bigshot plate with progressive
cheater
the set up i have from speedtech is awsome i love the digiset timer settup (for the 2 stage ) simple to wire simple to tune and all the plugs look great even after putting a big hit thjrough it ..

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts
What about a Wilson kit how to they stand up against the others?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any of the GOOD plates can be made to have good distribution, but it has to be flowed with your manifold.. It's a very timely process, but money well spent... You're pushin the envelope with that big of a hit, but it can be done..
Hmmm, so what if they flow the plate on the intake and it's not getting even distribution, how do they change it? I was also thinkin about having spray bars put into the carb mounting pad and drilled for the intake to make sure everything is spraying evenly into each cylinder, but then if I change the intake in the future it's money down the drain and has to be done again, but might be worth it, dunno.

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts
We had Jeff Prock do are NOS big shot plate and that is one badass plate. It picked up a lot with a smaller shot and less time in the timer than when we had it from the factory. At that time we couldn't go fast than 7.50 because we didn't have are advance license. He also told us to switch to Wilson selnoids.

·
Senior Frog
10,345 Posts
Id use the "Piston Knocker" plate system with its massive
orifices and mega sized bottle its guaranteed to KO
your pistons

godspeed LSX

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
na his solution is to put 42's in everything...you'll learn to luv him....lol

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No LSX motors are great,its the 500 shot plates that scare me
:SHTF
:smt082

Couldn't tell what you were gettin at when I read the post, sounded like you were bein a smartass but wasn't sure what about. I did even worse for 2 years, was running a 300 shot from a dual nozzle wet kit in front of a fast 90, stayed together for a long time cuz I ran it super rich, like 10:1 a/f, but when I got greedy and tried to lean it out to 11.0 - 11.3 where it should be, the distribution thing bit me in the ass and hurt the motor (wish it hadn't though, cuz I was on my way to a really nice pass, picked up 3 mph in the 1/8th over my previous best before the couple plugs let go). One of the reasons I swapped to a carb intake was b/c I had heard that the carbd plates got pretty good distribution and could run a big shot on them w/o a problem (other reason was cuz the fast 90 was dying off hard after 6400 rpm and killin me, with the single plane on there now it's peaking at 7000 and holding all the way to 7500 where I let off when I threw it on my buddies dyno which is more along the lines of what I thought it should be doing with the size of the cam that's in the car), but I dunno, maybe i'll just give in and put a fogger on it to be safe.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
We had Jeff Prock do are NOS big shot plate and that is one badass plate. It picked up a lot with a smaller shot and less time in the timer than when we had it from the factory. At that time we couldn't go fast than 7.50 because we didn't have are advance license. He also told us to switch to Wilson selnoids.
Jeff Prock has helped me a ton this year!

Great guy to deal with and he has alot of knowledge when it comes to EFI and nitrous.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts