Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, whats the best placement for backpressure sensors in a twin and single setup? Thanks!

·
Gigity
3,139 Posts
IDK, but I put mine in 1 manifold collector.
I see peaks and valleys in the measured pressure throughout a run, and I assume that is the wastegate opening and closing trying to maintain boost? Im sampling at 100/sec

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
In the header, back pressure is back pressure

·
Registered
377 Posts
What kind of fitting or bung are you using at the turbine inlet? Im redoing the exhaust this winter and would like to include this fitting whether I use it or not
I put a 1/8" npt female bung in each header, that way i can plug it off if I'm not using it. I think I got them from RPS.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
IDK, but I put mine in 1 manifold collector.
I see peaks and valleys in the measured pressure throughout a run, and I assume that is the wastegate opening and closing trying to maintain boost? Im sampling at 100/sec
You'll be seeing pulsing from valve events as well as w/g movements, and maybe even some reaction from the turbine itself.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I've run it in a few different places. Currently my manifold is setup for two wastegates (from compound turbo setup), and I'm only using one, so I bought a block off plate for the other WG hole and tapped it for a fitting. I've also tapped the turbine housing itself on other turbos (turbine housing is much cheaper than my manifold). One odd example, I've also put the fitting on the intake manifold, where it blocks off the old factory EGR passage through the head. This is only tied to runner 4, so the trace is a lot jumpier, but no matter how I dampen the pulses, or filter the trace in the log, I get the same data I get from the fittings on the turbine housing or manifold. No loss of accuracy, just more hoops to jump through to get a cleaner more usuable trace. In other words, put it anywhere that is convenient to you and makes sense for your particular setup.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
ya I know, but my logger does it, and the smoothing feature in the software should do as good a job as a damper inline to the sensor, no?
There isnt a huge need to smooth it as such. When viewing any logs, you should be able to filter it anyway, so wont make much odds. But sampling it at 100hz is just wasting memory that could be used for other stuff.
Unless you cannot select logging rate for individual channels

I wouldnt say that an electronic filter and mechanical damper do work the same though.

Ive had cars that never run great until you add a mechanical damper in the map sensor line. Even trying all levels of electronic filter within the software. Stick a MIG tip into the MAP sensor line near the sensor itself, and bingo, it's great

But if you arent actually using EGBP to control anything, then it isnt a big deal either way

1 - 20 of 21 Posts