Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have my motor on the dyno. Pulling vacuum from the center of the valley plate. Sucked a lot of oil into the Star canister and pump. Lost complete vacuum. Should I try pulling vacuum from the valve cover instead. I guess any oil in a Star pump makes it stop pulling vacuum all together.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Every engine i have seen pulling vacuum from the valley plate sucked alot of oil. I tried building baffles and it helped on my engine (bbf) but valve covers are alot easier and work consistently. I would pull from the valve covers every time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Is your valley tray factory? If not the factory ones have great baffling in them. I don't get any oil pulling from mine. If not build a baffle for it or use the valve cover. The valley in a l.s. is pretty open so you need to build something pretty good for the valley...

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
you can build a simple valley splash plate, and then you can pull from the valley no problem, not much oil in the valley, the oil drains down through the lifter area from the head, the valley does not get much oil.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Some LS motors have baffles in the valley pan, some don't. We've had customers with great results pulling from the valley, and some with bad results. We have good success with pulling from the oil fill cap with the factory extension still in place. We've also had good results with making a manifold and pulling from 3 different locations at once.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a dry sump and I pull from the pan just below the rail, no issues. I have 4 hoses sucking the bottom of the pan and one hose to the lifter valley, all the lifter valley is blocked off and Oil is sucked from the back of the Valley, very happy with the set up.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Are you sure you don't have any oil leaks? My star pump sucked a bunch of oil even thru a baffled valve cover fitting when the valley plate wasn't sealed correctly. Now that it is sealed up the pump doesn't pull any oil.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I've pulled as much as 10" from the valley with no issues as long as the ring seal is good. I used a factory knock sensor style valley plate, welded a bung on top, welded the bottom shut, and drilled a hole through the side of the knock sensor galley to pull crankcase vacuum from.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had to move mine to the valve covers because it was pulling too much oil from the valley.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I truly appreciate the responses. I tried the valve cover in the front left side horizontally and it worked great. No oil in the clear line from the valve cover to the Star canister and pulled good vacuum. I'm just still confused about the valley plate, because I made a nice baffle that was dead center of the valley plate so no oil could get into it. Obviously my idea and design was complete shit. Probably why I'm not a engineer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I truly appreciate the responses. I tried the valve cover in the front left side horizontally and it worked great. No oil in the clear line from the valve cover to the Star canister and pulled good vacuum. I'm just still confused about the valley plate, because I made a nice baffle that was dead center of the valley plate so no oil could get into it. Obviously my idea and design was complete shit. Probably why I'm not a engineer.
That is because you are pulling oil vapor, LS engines have terrible windage problems. You cannot pull out of the valley without an elaborate baffle system.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
That is because you are pulling oil vapor, LS engines have terrible windage problems. You cannot pull out of the valley without an elaborate baffle system.
it doesnt have to be elaborate, it just has to be built in a way that oil cannot directly get to it...

the bigger problem is that the LS motor has a splash window at the front of the valley....some have one at the front and the rear..
the only thing you can do is to pull from a place where there is no splash..somewhere in the middle of it

I ended up making a simple baffle
Front of the motor being the bottom side of the picture
and the space where it draws in from is in the middle of the valley....
my actual Fitting in the valley cover is up at the front of the motor and in front of the Super Victor Intake I am using.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I pulled from the valve cover. Welded a -12 using the stock baffle.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts