Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking to buy a box of 500 or 1000 rounds at a time. I have a DPMS AR-15 in .223. looking for a good price but dont want to deal with low quality and jamming/cycling issues.

I see cheaper than dirt website has loose bulk ammo. this dont seem too bad. any opinions?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM2782-1.html

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
Steel cased fine?

·
Registered
137 Posts
if you do buy the bitterroot valley ammo just make sure that you clean your rifle often as this is pretty dirty ammo and have been known to have feeding and ingnition issues but for general plinking it should be fine.you can also check out this site.http://www.bulkammo.com/rifle/bulk-.223-ammo

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I been shooting some remington UMC ammo i get for around $7 a box of 20 on sale. it seems pretty dirty also. it would be nice to find something cleaner.

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
I seen all the brown bear ammo was steel cased, any down side to this. never shot anything like that yet. I see its super cheap.
I hear some Mini 14s don't like it, but aside from that nope. I shoot just about exclusively Brown Bear, in fact. Its dirtier than brass ammo, make sure to give the gun a good cleaning. Smokes a tiny bit, not bad though, and smells different. Technically, it also wears out your extractor faster, but unless you wake up with a mag dump each morning, you'll never notice it.

If you want to shoot long distance for precision, its not a great idea. But iron sights at any reasonable distance its fine for.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I seen all the brown bear ammo was steel cased, any down side to this. never shot anything like that yet. I see its super cheap.
During a high rate of fire, the coating on the steel case can melt and cause stovepipe issues. Also, as that coat begins to melt, it sticks the case in the chamber and can cause extra wear on the extractor.

I have never experienced the above issues, but that is what is said to happen, and it makes sense. However, you can buy a new AR bolt/extractor with the savings from every case of steel ammo vs brass.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have run Tula, Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, UMC, Remington, PMC, Aguilla, Hornadey, Winchester, Black Hills, Lake City, Federal....all with no problems. SGammo, Surplus Ammo, Vance Outdoors, Aim Surplus have pretty good prices on cases (1000rds)

·
102,312 Posts
Gun show hands down. You get a chance to see the ammo before you buy it if they are reputable dealer.

·
Medium Pimpin!
8,852 Posts
looking to buy a box of 500 or 1000 rounds at a time. I have a DPMS AR-15 in .223. looking for a good price but dont want to deal with low quality and jamming/cycling issues.

I see cheaper than dirt website has loose bulk ammo. this dont seem too bad. any opinions?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM2782-1.html
Ctd is a ripoff. Glens outdoors has some of the best prices but they sell out quick. Ammoman.com isnt bad. sometimes Aim surplus has a deal but its rare. Dont use steel cased ammo if you want reliable ammo that isnt going to wear your extractor.

·
Medium Pimpin!
8,852 Posts
During a high rate of fire, the coating on the steel case can melt and cause stovepipe issues. Also, as that coat begins to melt, it sticks the case in the chamber and can cause extra wear on the extractor.

I have never experienced the above issues, but that is what is said to happen, and it makes sense. However, you can buy a new AR bolt/extractor with the savings from every case of steel ammo vs brass.
The coating is Laquer so just imagine dumping it into a hot weapon that isnt a Ak.

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
The coating is Laquer so just imagine dumping it into a hot weapon that isnt a Ak.
Never had any problems. I've shot 200 rounds of it at a time in 30 round mags, some were straight mag dumps, others were plinking. Gun was hot as sin, even the handguards were getting unbearably hot. No problems.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts