Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyone using for intake manifold sealant. :confused:
Ive had my blower and manifold off between rounds on my sbc a couple times and am having trouble finding something that will set up quick enough to not fail and push out the back. (This is due to limited turn around / setup time.) Hate to say it but in this situation is it better to use the old cork gasket or something along with sealant of some kind to fill some of the void.
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
A suggestion here , with your intake gaskets in place and nothing on the end rails , set the manifold on and measure the gap in the front and rear of the manifold ( between the manifold and block ) . Lets say you have .100 gap , find a piece of aluminum that is say .080 thick . Now place the end rail gaskets on the .080 aluminum and trace them out and cut them out . Screw them to your bolck or manifold and seal them with gray permatex . Now you only have to fill a .020 gap with silicone and the chance of pushing it out is much lesser . Or if you know a machinist make the spacer plates within .010 of the gaps and have them o-ringed .

·
Registered
15 Posts
A suggestion here , with your intake gaskets in place and nothing on the end rails , set the manifold on and measure the gap in the front and rear of the manifold ( between the manifold and block ) . Lets say you have .100 gap , find a piece of aluminum that is say .080 thick . Now place the end rail gaskets on the .080 aluminum and trace them out and cut them out . Screw them to your bolck or manifold and seal them with gray permatex . Now you only have to fill a .020 gap with silicone and the chance of pushing it out is much lesser . Or if you know a machinist make the spacer plates within .010 of the gaps and have them o-ringed .
i second this and i also second the right stuff, however it is a bitch to unseal that stuff for removal.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
The right stuff and the gray stroke silicone are both good but the only problem with them is that you need 100 ton crane to get them seperate. LOL. Any good silicone made by permatex will work fine. Two things you should do. Make sure both mating surfaces are wiped down with thinner before you apply the silicone. Second make sure that you let the silicone set the amount that it requires before starting the engime. JMO

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
I use the red Permatex silicone on my intake, it seems to seal up well, but does come apart OK when you want to get it off. The ultra grey is better for permanent bonding, but it does take a lot of force to separate.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
x2 if you're needing to pull the intake between rounds. And work on the tuneup, lol. :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advise / ideas.
i have been using the rightstuff which works well if let setup. Unfortunatly i ran into some issues last weekend that didnt give me time to cure, resulting in an oil bath. I had thought of the foam, as we use it on the hemi car but hadnt seen it used with the sbc. i think i will give the foam i a try.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i also use the foam end gaskets ,never have a leak...i get it from allen jhonson.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
probably dont have the time for it to set up but i use permatex ultra copper. got the motor real hot and the intake bolts backed off a good bit but still didnt leak at all. just the ultra copper holding it to the heads

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Thanks for all the advise / ideas.
i have been using the rightstuff which works well if let setup. Unfortunatly i ran into some issues last weekend that didnt give me time to cure, resulting in an oil bath. I had thought of the foam, as we use it on the hemi car but hadnt seen it used with the sbc. i think i will give the foam i a try.
Be sure to make a retainer in case it would hurt a piston and push the seal out. In a hurry and left one out look what it did....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTueJsLNt0A

·
Registered
195 Posts
white hlomar silicone is the fastest drying and it will hold up to 25" of vacum so i think it would seal well, downside is if you dont use it often it will dry up in the tube. best stuff for both worlds is valco cincinatti black. it drys pretty quick, stands up to all kinds of pressure/vacum, and you dont need a stick of dynomite to get your stuff apart. but in reality some one already said it but o rings is the real deal.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Right stuff or Ultra Grey permatex.

blown fiat, do you know Jay and John Childs??????? I used to crew with them and Steve Cook when I lived up there!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts