Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using Berkiey Trilene fluoro but not that happy with it. Seams brittle at the knot when tied to braid with a double uni knot. What are you guys using.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Seaguar hands down. Its all I use for my leaders.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Seaguar hands down. Its all I use for my leaders.

THIS!!

Seaguar is by far the best.

Ive watched as yellowfin tuna will turn away from other brands (sufix)and mono, but eat with seaguar.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You hit the nail on the head chevyguy. Looks like Seaguar will get the call. Just out of curiosity has anyone here tried the Hi-Seas stuff. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
532 Posts
we use seaguar , but have heard good things about suffix also ! maybe worth a look ?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
let me ask you all this, are you filling the entire spool with fluorocarbon, or just adding a nice long leader? i run about a 10 year leader, and back it with either 12 or 25 pound stren mono. the reels are penn spinfisher 650s and 750s so we are not talking all that much line.

i had the pleaseure of heading off oregon inlet to the gulf stream in the beginning of the month looking for yellowfin tuna and dolphin. (got me a 45+ pound yellow fin!) on the 2 hour treck out i had a good ammount of time to "chat up" the first mate on everything fishing. they spool all of their reels with either 130 pound mono or 80 pound mono with no leaders. he said that they will use a fluoro leader if the fish are really tempremental, however in back to back testing there was no way to justify the cost of a full spool of fluoro. i say that if good ol mono is ok for a charter that takes 140+ trips a year looking for very large fish, its good enough for me!

just some thoughts.

good fishing,
-Sean

im in the white shirt - http://www.oregon-inlet.com/journal/images/3044image2-52-6-5-12-2r.jpg

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I bought some sufix last summer. I kind of like it but only do fresh water fishing. I think the main thing is to get line, no matter what kind, that hasn't been on the shelf too long. As a matter of fact, I didn't ask for Suffix, I asked for the line that was on the shelf, the least amount of time. I think fresh line kept out of the sun is best.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think fresh line kept out of the sun is best.
AGREED! this is why i re-spool my salt water reels every year. the line comes off in fall and new stuff goes on in spring. im not quite as anal with my fresh water gear, but the salt water stuff is a different story all together.

along the same "line" (see what i did there?!?!?!) what color do you guys use? i use clear blue stren for my salt water surf reels and low-viz green triline for fresh water.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I dont know of anyone who uses flourocarbon as their main line. I use clear blue Berkley trilene XL on my light tackle rods with a 10-12" long 30lb flourocarbon shock leader. #8 Spro swivel to connect them.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I dont know of anyone who uses flourocarbon as their main line. I use clear blue Berkley trilene XL on my light tackle rods with a 10-12" long 30lb flourocarbon shock leader. #8 Spro swivel to connect them.
I would delete the swivel and tie the flourocarbon directly to the main line. We do this on our light tackle Mackerel setups and we catch some pretty good fish generally.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I change setups alot during a day on the flats. A swivel is a must. Even using live shrimp on a alameda cork I use a swivel above the cork and tie to my main mono line. I sightcast reds and drum like this all the time with soft plastics on a 1/8oz jig head.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i like the swivel idea for the quick changes. i must say that im suprised that you havent had any issues with a fish "seeing" the swivel.

given the length of my leaders im a fan of the simple albright knot...

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
A #8 Spro swivel is barely big enough to get 30lb line through.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Im big on braid.... So I run PowerPro main line, then topshot with 20-30 yards of seaguar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Using fluorocarbon line on the whole spool seems a little expensive and overkill, unless you want the line to sink faster because it's denser than mono which floats. Weights or leadcore (for trolling) can do the same thing. Just use your favorite line to fill the reel and use fluorocarbon as a leader. Seaguar gets my vote too and I have it on PowerPro too which is the best braid. I tried the Berkeley fluoro and knot strength was terrible even using palomar knots which retain about 90% strength. Be sure to wet the knot before sending it home.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts