Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a twin turbo 455 Buick and need an engine simulator to figure out this cam. I am hearing various opinions and don't know which way to go. Thanks, David

·
Registered
49,442 Posts
I am building a twin turbo 455 Buick and need an engine simulator to figure out this cam. I am hearing various opinions and don't know which way to go. Thanks, David
I assume this is going to be a low rpm engine ? There aren't any good simulators out there either.

·
Registered
49,442 Posts
6400 rpm max. Trying to run low 9s to high 8s in quarter.
shouldn't take much to get a cam for a engine that size to go that fast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is that the opinions on lift, duration at .50, etc are so varied. Everything you read says have more duration at .50 on intake side and less on the exhaust and then Duttweiler and Scott Brown say to have less on intake and more on exhaust. I know they are the masters of this stuff, but all the theory gets tossed out the window and I don't want to keep changing cams.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you tried Dynomation-5 or DynoSim5 from www.fuelairspark.com? It is under the section of Home Tools Simulation Software.
I have used the software for naturally aspirated engines and found it helpful. I understand DynoSim5 works for turbochargers, blowers and superchargers.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
With a twin turbo'd 455 topping out at 6400 rpms, you're not going to need much cam.. The STOCK cam with turbo's could reach 6400 rpms..

Forced induction seems to stretch the usable rpms out for a given size cam.. But realisticly.. A cam with around 240 degrees at .050 on the intake and exhaust will fill your bill.. And that's considered a small cam for that size motor..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you wouldn't have a cam with more intake duration and less on exhaust at .50. I am getting so many opinions so many different ways and I am not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
is this car treet driven or track only and i called a few cam companys and and the recmondation were close just tell them what u r doing and go from there u will be ok with a low rpm u r using u wont need much cam ........lm2c

·
Registered
49,442 Posts
I'd go with something 240's at 50. ICL around 110 lsa around 114 keep lift reasonable around say 550 depending on your heads.I'd run it sqaure unless the exhuast port is a real pooch. normally you'd want to dial out as much overlap as you can, but becuase this is a low rpm motor you'll need a little to keep the engine in its sweet spot longer. plugs its a big damn motor a touch of overlap ain't gonna bother it unless you have a very restrictive hotside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts