Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for (2) SuperNovas, a WS400 and a LS400, Anyone know where to get the best price? Ebay out of United Kingdom is cheapest so far. Would love to find a dealer would make a deal on 2.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I think the cheapest ive seen was ebay from Japan. I think jpatt87 purchased from there but I could be mistaken.
The guys that sponsor the gunman on youtube sprayguns direct (UK) had decent prices last time I checked but after exchange, shipping and duty I havent bought anything. Maybe being shipped States side might be cheaper. I regret not buying a couple when they were cheap, $380 for the supernova.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now it is Italy that has the best deal on Ebay. With a plastic cup (I hate plastic cups) is $543. None from Japan listed right now. Guess I am going to order from Italy, $1100 for 2 guns, they better be as incredible as the reviews! I am also going to make the leap from aluminum cups to PPS 2.0 cups. I am doing more small spot repairs and parts painting, the PPS are starting to make sense. By the time I add up the cost for small mixing cups, clean up thinner, time, The PPS does not look like it will add much cost

·
Super Moderator
46,932 Posts
I've never made the leap to PPS cups. In my opinion, cleaning the cup is the quickest and least time consuming part of gun clean up anyway. The gun itself is what needs to be thoroughly cleaned, and that doesn't change when using the PPS system. As far as cost, wash thinner is fairly cheap, and we have a gun cleaner and a thinner recycler anyway so we almost never buy any.

·
Super Moderator
46,932 Posts
Funny how there seems to be two very different camps when guns are concerned. One love SATA and the other love Iwata and most of the time, they won't own both or give the other a chance. I'm guilty of it as well being a SATA guy for decades now,...but I have gone back to Devilbiss, the company I cut my teeth on almost 40 years ago and absolutely love their Tekna Prolite Line of guns. Amazing.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
The only real guns I own are two Prolites and an Accuspray 07. Never had the opportunity to try the others.
I didnt like some of the reviews the SATA got compared to the older ones so never pulled the trigger on any. I honestly went with the Prolite because of the gunman reviews among others and the multiple tips. I was getting conflicting information tip wise on the paint brand I was using for the first time (internet designer crap) and it being Saturday night I rolled the dice and got lucky. When I went back on Monday to pick up the Supernovas just to have they were gone never to be seen again but grabbed the last prolite to make them a pair. I'm happy with my decision.

Post back with how your purchase went and what you think of them.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had lunch today with another good local painter. Told him I was buying 2 Supernova's, one for base, one for clear. He told me he bought one a couple years ago and does not use it. Uses a Prolite for base and clear both, same gun. For my little shop at the house i do not have the biggest exhaust fan I get too big a fog with my AWESOME material hog Iwata W-400. 1 Prolite would sure cut my cost in half instead of buying 2 Supernova's. But some of the clear jobs I have seen on youtube for the Supernova's are awesome.. I am so confused, LOL! I just need gun with a better transfer rate and lower fog.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Not wanting to hijack the thread but where would this gun rate in this discussion.
Good gun lots of love from alot of people. They have a large fan.
They have a following from the three letter designer paint fan boys.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I had lunch today with another good local painter. Told him I was buying 2 Supernova's, one for base, one for clear. He told me he bought one a couple years ago and does not use it. Uses a Prolite for base and clear both, same gun. For my little shop at the house i do not have the biggest exhaust fan I get too big a fog with my AWESOME material hog Iwata W-400. 1 Prolite would sure cut my cost in half instead of buying 2 Supernova's. But some of the clear jobs I have seen on youtube for the Supernova's are awesome.. I am so confused, LOL! I just need gun with a better transfer rate and lower fog.
Any chance you have a friend that would let you borrow the Prolite to test see how you like it?
The Prolite also has the T110 cap for the show slick clear, I have not used it though. Ive settled on the t20 with 1.3 for base and clear. I originally used the 1.4 for the designer crap clear cause every fan boy said thats what you need and hated the results, I'm sure if I jacked the pressure to 30psi it would work good.
Too bad Im not in Florida id drop by for some paint and let you give the Prolite a wirl.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not wanting to hijack the thread but where would this gun rate in this discussion.
I have that gun, great on metallic base, all base for that matter, OK on clear. Does not make a big fog but I am painting on cars that are sanded and buffed, so want something that will lay it out slick enough to not have to buff. My Sata jet 90 will do it but I have to leave the room for the fog LOL!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any chance you have a friend that would let you borrow the Prolite to test see how you like it?
The Prolite also has the T110 cap for the show slick clear, I have not used it though. Ive settled on the t20 with 1.3 for base and clear. I originally used the 1.4 for the designer crap clear cause every fan boy said thats what you need and hated the results, I'm sure if I jacked the pressure to 30psi it would work good.
Too bad Im not in Florida id drop by for some paint and let you give the Prolite a wirl.
I wouldn't touch his gun it would be my fault if he ever had a issue on a job, LOL! I would rather buy it! I don't even want to try the Supernova he hates!
So what happening is I got hooked up with a Muscle Car dealer selling nice restored cars. A lot of those cars are older restorations. Among other things I am doing a lot of touch up, scratches, chips, taking care of some bubbles here and there on older nice paint jobs. So I am doing a lot of spot blending And it is hard to sand and buff a blend. So if I can over reduce the clear a bit and get it slick, I don't have to worry about rolling back the blend if I don't sand and buff it. My jet 90 will lay out clear totally slick, but again, the cloud is to much and I hate wearing a air supply. A respirator won't keep me alive with my booth conditions and the Jet 90.

·
Super Moderator
46,932 Posts
right now I currently own 2 SATAs, 2 Tekna Prolites, 2 Binks, 2 Devilbiss Finishline guns, and one Ebay special with a huge tip for metal flake.
Like I said, I was a SATA guy forever. Binks as well, but like a lot of painters who use two guns, my Binks was for base coat, great control, lower pressure, ect,...but didn't have the balls to push ample amounts of the thicker clear through it to my satisfaction. Small jobs maybe, but I also like keeping all color out of my clear gun so there's that. My SATA was the clear gun of choice.

That being said, the Devilbiss Tekna Prolite is one of the only guns that I like using for both base and clear. Great atomization and control of the base coats, and has no problem laying down clear as smooth as glass. But, I'm still not a fan of putting color through my clear gun, so I bought two of them,....lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
right now I currently own 2 SATAs, 2 Tekna Prolites, 2 Binks, 2 Devilbiss Finishline guns, and one Ebay special with a huge tip for metal flake.

Like I said, I was a SATA guy forever. Binks as well, but like a lot of painters who use two guns, my Binks was for base coat, great control, lower pressure, ect,...but didn't have the balls to push ample amounts of the thicker clear through it to my satisfaction. Small jobs maybe, but I also like keeping all color out of my clear gun so there's that. My SATA was the clear gun of choice.

That being said, the Devilbiss Tekna Prolite is one of the only guns that I like using for both base and clear. Great atomization and control of the base coats, and has no problem laying down clear as smooth as glass. But, I'm still not a fan of putting color through my clear gun, so I bought two of them,....lol
I bought a Devilbiss Tekna Prolite and paid $450.00 for it year and a half ago from Amazon. Best gun I've ever used, comes with 3 fluid nozzles and 2 air caps. This gun will paint anything automotive except primer. The 1.3 works for base and 1.4 for clear (FOR ME ANYWAY). Air cap best for me is T-10 @ 26 lbs at the gun. One thing that I found helped A LOT is I use a 1/2 in. air line from filter to gun.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I wouldn't touch his gun it would be my fault if he ever had a issue on a job, LOL! I would rather buy it! I don't even want to try the Supernova he hates!
I know but had to mention it, you never know

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
But, I'm still not a fan of putting color through my clear gun, so I bought two of them,....lol
Thats why I bought a second one, and I don't do this for a living either. Now i have 2 and if I could find a decent used one for a great price Id buy another just for primer.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
This gun will paint anything automotive except primer. The 1.3 works for base and 1.4 for clear (FOR ME ANYWAY). Air cap best for me is T-10 @ 26 lbs at the gun.
I haven't tried the t10 yet couldn't bring myself to do it just yet but will when I have a few small parts just to see as it uses less air and supposedly puts down a wetter coat.

The T-20 1.3 HS clear @ 25psi lays down like a sheet of glass. I wish I would have tried this tip and setting before I sprayed my car but I gave in to the designer group that it "HAS" to be a 1.4... That's what you get for spraying when you have a massive concussion and not listening to yourself.

The HV30 and T-110 would be something I might be inclined to try.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a Devilbiss Tekna Prolite and paid $450.00 for it year and a half ago from Amazon. Best gun I've ever used, comes with 3 fluid nozzles and 2 air caps. This gun will paint anything automotive except primer. The 1.3 works for base and 1.4 for clear (FOR ME ANYWAY). Air cap best for me is T-10 @ 26 lbs at the gun. One thing that I found helped A LOT is I use a 1/2 in. air line from filter to gun.
I just looked on Amazon for pricing on a Devilbis Tekna Prolite, Wow! something like $630.00. Still better than buying 2 or 3 guns to get what you need. I learned the hard way to buy quality in tools, instead of buying cheaper (and over and over and over again). Like the saying goes "Buy quality and cry once."
On buying 1 gun for base and colors and 1 for clear. just don't understand this, unless maybe you're spraying in a high production shop 8 hours a day. Might be the time in changing the fluid nozzle and air cap.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I borrowed the Supernova, he kind of forced it on me, love it, did everything I wanted it to do. Ordering base and clear models.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts