Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I end up wiring a car every winter. :mad: The kid tells me her Camaro needs to be rewired this winter. It has a stock harness that has been cut back to cover just the basics and she says there is a short in the column and damage that she can see on other wires.... So it will get a switch panel etc so it is easier to trouble shoot if the need arises.

So if I get to do another this year what is the best crimping tool you have found? Where did you get it and what kinda money was it?

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
thats a trick question.

we use Molex crimpers on our Molex connectors @ work.

I dont care who's crimper it is for the generic terminals (spade, ring, etc).

my2c.

Bob

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Tool aid kit #18920 with interchangeable heads
Posted via Mobile Device

·
UP ON JACK STANDS
4,191 Posts
What ever you do, don't use those crappy ass terminals with the yellow, blue, red plastic insulators. Get some uninsulated ones and some rolls of heat shrink tubing in various sizes. E Bay is good for that stuff. They have every size shrink sleeve you can ever want on spools. You can make whole harnesses with it, even the kind with the glue in it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where are you getting Thomas and Betts crimpers?

I crimp and heat shrink but I am tired of generic crimpers so I thought I would upgrade.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Bomar interconnect .. makes the best ratchet crimper for the quality/price.. jmo

If your looking for a quality crimp, stay away from the plier type crimpers thomas/betts, Klein have to offer..

·
Aviation Section
26,014 Posts
solder+vibration makes for intermittent electrical nightmares.
That is the same reason you will not see soldered wires on an aircraft, only crimped. Dave

·
The Grouch
3,116 Posts

This is what i sell a work, Its a little overkill!! Crimps up to 2000kcmil.
But the T & B or Burndy is a good hand crimper. You can also go to Home depot and pick up some Klein's. All the same when it comes to hand crimper's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts